Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashes of the Singularity Confirms Planned Vulkan Linux Port

Phoronix: Ashes of the Singularity Confirms Planned Vulkan Linux Port

Ashes of the Singularity, a game developed by Oxide Games and released for Windows a few days ago, has confirmed their intention of releasing a Linux port... When Vulkan is available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That game has some sick graphics.
    Its kinda strange, same guys release game on both Mantle and DX12. Now Vulkan? How come?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      Its kinda strange, same guys release game on both Mantle and DX12. Now Vulkan? How come?
      Because Mantle and DX12 won't run on Linux?

Comment

Because Mantle was more or less done before Vulkan, but is now discontinued in favor of Vulkan, because Vulkan is a Khronos specification, soon to be an industry standard alongside D3D12.

Comment

Even Star Citizen dev said that they are making a DX12 version, and will then do Vulkan specifically for the Linux build. I wonder why these devs don't see it as duplication of effort when they could just do Vulkan for both?

Comment

I don't expect Vulkan support for VLIW architecture from AMD. They will support only GCN GPU IMHO.

Comment

The game isn't released yet. It's in public alpha. It has a long way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver

Mantle was GCN only too if I remember correctly; to be honest it will really hurt AMD's reputation amongst users and developers if true.
                Not really, maybe some APU user, but it was clear from Trinity Start that the GPU arch will Loos the support priority in the not to far future. While owning an llano APU I would tell it is more important to have Gl4 in it than an Vulkan implementation with some quirks to support that hw. If somebody cares he can invest time in an r600vulkann OSS driver. Hoch would be wasted money/time if you ask me. But ist would be not so nice if not every GCN card would get Vulkan support.

Comment

Lets be first to ask.... does it support EMA on Linux?

I mean this, dunno how to call that maybe "Shits Together" technology

http://anandtech.com/Show/Index/9740...eview#comments

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                    Because they can see the publicity advantage in being first to make use of the new standards?

Ashes of the Singularity has been mentioned all through the dozens of articles testing Mantle, and then DX12, and comparing cards and so on. For an RTS game that wouldn't normally attract much attention outside its niche, that's a major return.

Comment

Working...
                    X