Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS Switches To Linux 4.1, Latest Graphics Drivers

Phoronix: SteamOS Switches To Linux 4.1, Latest Graphics Drivers

Valve has pushed out a very exciting update to SteamOS 2 "Brewmaster" that provides some significant updates!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

just after the steamos benchmarks, bad luck

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      just after the steamos benchmarks, bad luck
      Not really, considering I had already upgraded to Catalyst 15.9 in my tests and the NVIDIA situation nor Linux kernel upgrade is overly game-changing.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        SteamOS Brewmaster also switches to using the Catalyst 15.9 proprietary graphics driver and has upgraded the NVIDIA binary blob too.
        How do they do that legally?

Comment

I wonder if their upgrade is partially due to improving GPU performance for their AMD Steam Machines offering.

This is a fantastic move and the 4,1 Kernel was really solid when I used it.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

How do they do that legally?
            Valve has direct contacts with both AMD and NVIDIA. If it was illegal to do so, their employees would have stated so long ago. It's quite the opposite in that AMD and NVIDIA want their drivers shipped with SteamOS by default.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              I wonder if their upgrade is partially due to improving GPU performance for their AMD Steam Machines offering.

It's pretty much standard fare in the gaming community to upgrade to the latest drivers ASAP to fix bugs in newer releases. If SteamOS is soon to release, it needs to be offering the latest driver for all hardware.

Comment

I just bought an Alienware Steam Machine today (to be delivered around 11/9). :-)

Comment

Please tell of it uses Alchemist vor brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    Not on all fronts. I can make it crash hard by exporting an lvm with FCOE-vn2vn, use it as part of a btrfs raid 1 on another system, and then do a scrub.
                    It is really puzzling to hear a beep in a room full of non-PC BIOS computers.

Comment

Working...
                    X