Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Lands Many KDE-Related Updates

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Lands Many KDE-Related Updates

The rolling-release openSUSE Tumblewed distribution has landed a number of significant KDE package updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now that Kubuntu has been shat all over by the CC, and with Jonathan on to bigger and better things, OpenSUSE sounds like a good alternative KDE distro.

Comment

I wish there was a KDE distribution based directly on Debian. I have been hoping that the Kubuntu folks would consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post
        I wish there was a KDE distribution based directly on Debian. I have been hoping that the Kubuntu folks would consider it.
        Hasn't Kano's Kanotix been using KDE on top of Debian since Day dot? I recall he was posting on Phoronix quite a bit a while back.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Trevelyan View Post

Did you try Tanglu ?
          It is based on Debian Testing, close to Debian project and KDE centric with all non-free stuff activated so it is fully functional out of the box

Comment

Originally posted by BoPieds View Post
            Did you try Tanglu ?
            No; but I did just read its FAQ. It does not appear to be a distribution dedicated to polishing a KDE desktop, like Kubunutu is. Instead appears to be an attempt to create a "Debian Desktop" distribution. i.e. Tracking 'Testing' rather than 'Stable', and having 'non-free' turned on by default. I'm not sure if they can really reach their goal of by-passing freezes, maybe for some packages.

Debian Testing with non-free plus backports, sid & experimental sources (with Pining) is already what I use as my desktop. However I configured it to be that way, as opposed to having such stuff as default.

Comment

zypper in OpenSUSE does the same thing as apt-get in Debian. There are even some wrappers to have apt* tools, if you already know them.
              For example:
              I see a package called zypper-aptitude with this description: "provides compatibility to Debian's aptitude command using zypper"

However, I'd recommend using the native zypper tool. Also YaST has a graphical interface that handles repositories, installation and dependencies. So you can actually use OpenSUSE instead of searching for obscure distributions if you want KDE polish.

SUSE has these types of distributions now:

For private use:
              - rolling distro - Tumbleweed, always the latest and greatest versions, suited for enthusiasts, developers, skilled geeks
              - stable distro - Leap 42, will be released this year. This shares DNA with SUSE Enterprise Server, so it's going to be solid

For enterprise:
              - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 - everything you would expect to treat your servers nicely. Certifications, 7 year of updates and support, regular Service Packs that are full installation sources, without needing the previous one
              - the Enterprise core has several delicious flavors and extensions: Server, Desktop, HA, POS, Real Time, IBM mainframe, SAP, you take your pick.

SUSE has significant contributions to the kernel, KDE, glibc. Also the OpenSUSE Build Service is some awesome, undiscovered gem. It allows automatic packaging, using their cloud, for SUSE and other distributions like Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu...

So, yeah, I feel that SUSE doesn't get the deserved appreciation, I admit that.

Comment

Wonderful; now if only I could actually get Tumbleweed installed... My last 5 or so attempts at it in the past failed horribly during the partitioning stage when getting UEFI and LVM+Encryption involved in any way, and nobody seemingly able to reproduce such issues.

I want the entire drive auto-partitioned during install time, with UEFI involved, with no separate home partition, and the root partition in XFS. Trying this either led to:

- The root partition taking up only 20GB and no more
                - Trying to expand the root partition in the above case with Expert Partitioner would completely wipe out the root parttiion (in other words; I either had to deal with the 20GB volume at install time and just expand it later on (assuming this works), or don't proceed with installation at all)
                - A improperly formatted what-I-assume-is /boot partition
                - Deleting the /boot partition would allow install to complete, but would have broken Plymouth (I think), and require entering the passphrase twice

Comment

You are trying an expert setup. Are you giving this as an example of alleged SUSE inadequacy? Hope not. What you want would be delicate with any distribution.

Be an expert then, go directly to that section and be sure that what you want can actually work. Ignore the automatic partition proposal altogether, just start partitioning with a clean disk.
                  /boot with UEFI has to be FAT32. as far as I know. Reserve that, format it, set up the mountpoint
                  / with LVM and Encryption, if you are sure that it's supposed to work, do the thing manually

Comment

Most distributions expect the UEFI partition to be /boo/efi, and has to be fat32 with a special partition attribute. I would not recommend fat32 for /boot because you lose symlinks and some kernel installers will fail because it also lacks hardlink support.

I have one system where /boot and /boot/efi are on the same partition, with fat32 and this is my fstab:

UUID=ABCD-EF12 /mnt/EFI vfat defaults 0 1
                    /mnt/EFI/boot /boot bind bind 0 0
                    /mnt/EFI /boot/efi bind bind 0 0

This sort of works; except that every kernel update requires manual intervention because of the hardlink/symlink issue for /boot.

Going back I would recommend 3 partitions

1: /boot/efi vfat (with special EFI partition type) ~ 100MB
                    2: /boot ext4 (standard linux partition type) ~300MB
                    3: DM-Crypt (suitable partition type) All the remaining space

/dev/mapper/crypt-disk-name as a LVM PV

Comment

Working...
                    X