Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chromium Browser Support On Wayland Continues To Be Developed

Phoronix: Chromium Browser Support On Wayland Continues To Be Developed

While there has been no major breakthroughs to report on lately, Intel's 01.org Wayland Ozone layer needed for Chromium/Chrome support on Wayland continues to be developed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What are the chances of this ever going mainline? AFAIK native Chromium on Wayland would not be able to use the flashplugin from adobe or the pepper api one extracted from Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      What are the chances of this ever going mainline? AFAIK native Chromium on Wayland would not be able to use the flashplugin from adobe or the pepper api one extracted from Chrome.
      Why wouldn't it be able to use flash? Adobe (or Google) would just have to update Pepper Flash to not require X11.

Comment

For one thing, I don't think Adobe is particularly fond of flash anymore, and are mostly maintaining it for legacy purposes and to prevent security holes as best they can for systems that require it. I seem to remember them pushing pretty hard for HTML5 technologies and they even have a content creation tool for that purpose. Err, linkdump below:
        Code:
        https://helpx.adobe.com/flash/using/creating-publishing-html5-canvas-document.html
        http://www.cio.com/article/2376661/internet/how-adobe-is-moving-on-from-flash-to-embrace-html5.html
        http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2012/09/25/adobe-announces-amazing-suite-of-html5-tools-in-bid-to-merge-open-source-and-profit/
        Last edited by Nobu; 29 October 2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Works in QtWebEngine. I had no idea it wasn't supposed to work upstream when I worked on it.

Comment

But Flash actually does neither use native X11 APIs nor other system-dependent stuff. It's Chromium that has to implement all of these things, and Flash, as well as other PPAPI/Native Client modules, just uses APIs provided by Chromium. That's why Linux version of Flash for example is capable of hardware decoding with patched Chromium, even though it's not officially supported, that's why Chrome OS started to bypass X server completely with no visible regressions, and that's also why Pepper Flash is so sluggish, while NPAPI one works twice as fast. So once Wayland support is completed, there should be no differences between Flash on running X11 or Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              I have used Pepper Flash on ozone wayland without any issues

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

I have used Pepper Flash on ozone wayland without any issues

That's good to hear. I remember compiling Chromium with the Ozone patches a long time ago and Flash didn't work. Maybe the cause was something different. Xwayland chromium is working flawless, too in the meantime.

Comment

Working...
                X