Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Stoney APU Support Is Going Into The Linux 4.4 Kernel

Phoronix: AMD Stoney APU Support Is Going Into The Linux 4.4 Kernel

Alex Deucher sent in another pull request of new AMDGPU/Radeon DRM material for landing in DRM-Next to in turn make it into Linux 4.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While it's good that finally AMD is landing hardware-enabling code ahead of time, the PM/reclocking issue is still outstanding, i.e. I won't buy a new laptop with and AMD APU without decent power management.

Comment

Reclocking is already in for carrizo etc APUs. Its only the discrete cards that are dragging

Comment

Hm, Carrizo has DPM and reclocking since 4.2 AFAIK... is it buggy for you or something else?

And i guess this Stoney (Carizzo Athlon) should be the same from power managment POV:
        Last edited by dungeon; 30 October 2015, 09:29 AM.

Comment

All APUs supported by amdgpu have dpm support already. It's just tonga and fiji that we haven't gotten upstream yet.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            While it's good that finally AMD is landing hardware-enabling code ahead of time, the PM/reclocking issue is still outstanding, i.e. I won't buy a new laptop with and AMD APU without decent power management.
            Curious why you are saying "finally". IIRC all of our APUs have had support pushed before the product launched. Not quite there on new dGPU HW generations but we were getting close before the radeon->amdgpu transition and we're pretty much past that now.
            Test signature

Comment

All APUs supported in amdgpu have dpm support.

Comment

Make sense maybe to mark DONE DPM on RadeonFeature page, with note about Tonga/Fiji.

Comment

Question. Does the Carrizo power management code allow you to unlock the APU's TDP? I ask because right now Carrizo performance at least on the FX APUs is horribly crippled thanks to OEMs like HP capping them at a 15W TDP
                  here is a discussion thread about it : https://community.amd.com/thread/185411

Comment

TDP is controlled by the system bios as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X