The Spookiest (Most Viewed) Open-Source / Linux Articles This Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spookiest (Most Viewed) Open-Source / Linux Articles This Month

Phoronix: The Spookiest (Most Viewed) Open-Source / Linux Articles This Month

Here's the Halloween edition of the most popular Phoronix open-source / Linux news over the past month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, what I don't get is - if you are really working that much and still are having trouble making the ends meet. Why not get some freelancers to write for you? I am sure at least one or two readers would be interested in contributing / donate articles to Phoronix. You are now very often pointing out the use of ad blockers and frankly it sounds like you are close to giving up the entire thing, or at least this is how I interpret this.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
      Michael, what I don't get is - if you are really working that much and still are having trouble making the ends meet. Why not get some freelancers to write for you? I am sure at least one or two readers would be interested in contributing / donate articles to Phoronix. You are now very often pointing out the use of ad blockers and frankly it sounds like you are close to giving up the entire thing, or at least this is how I interpret this.
      I do accept freelance articles, but only a handful of people in past 11 years have bothered to offer to help out.. This year was the first intern (eric) and am forever grateful to him.

Heck even before ad block rise, some were even paid. I am burning/burnt out and would much rather focus my time just on PTS but it becomes a huge balancing act, etc, while remaining committed to my goal of "enriching the Linux hardware ezpeeience " and Linux hardware reviews, etc. Ad companies these days are even more against Linux / open source than when I started in 2004... These days I really have new ad companies I deal with be against Linux rather than a neutral stance. Not to mention Microsoft pays more ad money than red hat or the like...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        Michael has said that articles from freelancers/guest contributors are welcome. There was recently an article by Quaridarium about using the steam controller on Linux. There's also been a Linux game review or two in the past. Also, phoronix had a summer intern this year.

But yeah, I also wish there were more guest contributions to the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Heck even before ad block rise, some were even paid.
          Now I feel bad for using adblock. Although I only recently started reading Phoronix more.
          Have you thought about setting up a Patreon? I'm sure there are a lot of people that really appreciate your work, that aren't completely broke like I am. It's usually a good option for niche content creators.
          Other than that, I guess we all just have to wait for that elusive "year of Linux on desktop", when there will be more interest and also more traffic for news sites etc. Maybe Steam Machines will make that push.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrowAway3000 View Post

Now I feel bad for using adblock. Although I only recently started reading Phoronix more.
            Have you thought about setting up a Patreon? I'm sure there are a lot of people that really appreciate your work, that aren't completely broke like I am. It's usually a good option for niche content creators.
            Other than that, I guess we all just have to wait for that elusive "year of Linux on desktop", when there will be more interest and also more traffic for news sites etc. Maybe Steam Machines will make that push.
            Is there much benefit to using patreon when already support premium, PayPal tips (and option for recurring tips, so I guess just like patreon), or Bitcoin?
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Is there much benefit to using patreon when already support premium, PayPal tips (and option for recurring tips, so I guess just like patreon), or Bitcoin?
              I'm not sure, just had an impression that Patreon's system is good for the sense of a community, and people can see what they are getting/"paying" for.
              Animators on YouTube use it for the same reasons: ads for their content don't pay well (short videos that take a lot of work), and donations are sparse.

Comment

Well GamingOnLinux more than doubled the income by using Patreon. There's a lot to be said for being completely open about finances. We totally removed adverts as a result, and now we get even more donations outside Patreon due to this.

People appreciate we don't do clickbait as we don't need to hook people into stupid shit, as we get paid either way thanks to Patreon.

I think part of the problem now, is how often you're personally asking for money. Especially how it comes across like it's a demand, rather than a request.
                Last edited by liamdawe; 01 November 2015, 06:01 AM.

Comment

I would totally donate with patreon, It's easier than paypal

Comment

Regarding those ad revenues -- Part of the problem is that whereas a response to adblocker prevalence might be required, likewise are the adblockers themselves. More and more we hear news of malware injections via ads, more and more ads themselves are becoming increasingly obstructive to every day use of the sites on which they appear. Quite frankly, I can name a few sites which I would not even bother opening were it not for the concept of adblockers. It has seriously become that bad.

Now, I don't mean to suggest Phoronix is at that state but, conversely, it's not at that state... yet. I don't know which ad revenue service you're using and I don't much care, the problem is that there is no guarantee that some malicious or overly intrusive ad does not find its way onto Phoronix. I guess what I'm saying is -- Find other means of generating income instead of having to rely on ads, ads are slowly ruining the World Wide Web. Directly and indirectly (as a result of adblockers hampering the income of legitimate sites like Phoronix).

Comment

Working...
                    X