Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BusyBox Drops Systemd Support

Phoronix: BusyBox Drops Systemd Support

Following the recent BusyBox 1.24 release, the developers behind this "Swiss Army Knife of embedded Linux" have decided to drop systemd support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Nevertheless, this commit has been getting much attention this weekend over the strong language in the commit message."

What do you mean by that? Do you have any links?

Comment

A cursory Google search showed that Denys Vlasenko has been moaning about the philosophy of systemd on various mailing lists for years. So this might be ideological more than one particular thing.

Completely off topic but as I was typing Denys, Google wondered if I meant Daenerys

[I am have nothing to do with systemd except I am a contented user of it]

Comment

This is actually great. Now BusyBox is not gonna be tainted.

Comment

Should be interesting, his bio says he's still working for red hat unless there are more than one "Denys Vlasenko"s

Comment

Well, busybox has been running on embedded systems and initramfs'es for a long time now. Obviously systemd is something that is not needed in that arena at all. You shouldn't be using systemd in that space anyway. Anybody trying to shove systemd into an initrd is stupid.
            Last edited by duby229; 01 November 2015, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
              "strong language"? are you one of those sensive SJW that gets offended with anything? /roflmao /dealwithit

If personal arguments and critics result in those decissions to hold back progress, something is obviously going wrong. personal ideas and goals should not hold back progress of free software...

Comment

I think Sailfish OS uses busybox and systemd. But yea, as Michael mentioned, that code is optional, so it's not like anything really changed there.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post

If personal arguments and critics result in those decissions to hold back progress, something is obviously going wrong. personal ideas and goals should not hold back progress of free software...

Personal choice, ideas and criteria should not be part of free software? What kind of crap is that?

Comment

Seems a very childish reason for dropping it but the choice is his to make.

Comment

Working...
                    X