Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kakoune: Another Vim-Inspired Code Editor

Phoronix: Kakoune: Another Vim-Inspired Code Editor

A Phoronix reader wrote in to share the work on the Kakoune open-source, vim-inspired code editor he's been developing for the past four years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This looks really good, but its a very much departure from vim. If vim had some of these features such command completion.

Comment

very interesting editor. I might give Kakoune a try sometime for web development.

Comment

I wish someone would write a text editor that worked better with things like proportional fonts and elastic tabstops instead of yet another terminal-based text editor. Let me dream ... (I mean, I'm cooking something up, but with my (lack of) discipline it's gonna take years; would be nice if someone did it for me though )

Comment

May be vim-inspired in some way. I compiled it and did "kak Makefile'. No cursor. Tried j and k, no cursor, no change on status line. Tried Ctrl-G and Ctrl-C, still nothing. Clicked with mouse, no change. Tried J and it started selecting from where I clicked the mouse. At least the mouse seems to do something. Tried :q<CR> and it exited. So I figured I'd quit while I was ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibiki Kanzaki View Post
            May be vim-inspired in some way. I compiled it and did "kak Makefile'. No cursor. Tried j and k, no cursor, no change on status line. Tried Ctrl-G and Ctrl-C, still nothing. Clicked with mouse, no change. Tried J and it started selecting from where I clicked the mouse. At least the mouse seems to do something. Tried :q<CR> and it exited. So I figured I'd quit while I was ahead.
            Might be an issue with your terminal colorscheme. At least it sounds like a conflict between background and cursor color.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post

Might be an issue with your terminal colorscheme. At least it sounds like a conflict between background and cursor color.
              Yeah. Some of the key bindings may be vi-inspired, but the main thing for me is it does something different for many (most?) of what vim does for the same keys. Maybe it's vim-inspired in the sense that it has separate command and insert modes, and uses ncurses for the UI.

Comment

Yeah. Some of the key bindings may be vi-inspired, but the main thing for me is it does something different for many (most?) of what vim does for the same keys. Maybe it's vim-inspired in the sense that it has separate command and insert modes, and uses ncurses for the UI.

Comment

Comment

I like the way nano has beginner help right on screen. I know that takes away screen space, but when the world has 6 or 7 billion people in it and well under 0.1% are vim or emacs users, it only makes sense to be as newbie-friendly as possible.

vim and emacs are awesome once you know them, but they're almost newbie-hostile.

Comment

Working...
                    X