Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Denies Rumors Of Folding Chrome OS Into Android

Phoronix: Google Denies Rumors Of Folding Chrome OS Into Android

Google posted a blog post a few minutes ago entitled "Chrome OS is here to stay" where they counter the rumors that ChromeOS would be folded into Android...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They carefully avoided directly refuting the "rumors".

Finally, stay on the lookout for dozens of new Chromebooks in 2016.
    Sure, but how many will there be in 2017, which is when the merge was supposedly going to take place?

Comment

Of course we didn't expect Google to come out and say: Yeah, Chrome OS will be phased out, so stop buying Chromebooks and wait for the new OS.

Comment

ChromeOS is dead horse and even Google cant force users to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
          It's seen the most growth as far as a 'laptop form-factor' goes. Schools are loving it. If they can figure out how to make families love it...

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
            That's nonsense. The top-selling laptops (for several months on end, all ten) are all Chromebooks, and it's because they're simple to administer and easy to use.

I love my Acer C720P, and although I have run Arch linux on it in the past, I have come back to running Chrome on it since for the most part all I need as a developer is a shell and a web browser. Chrome OS has both. I suspect most computer users can cross off the shell part and stick with the browser.

I still run desktop linux, but Chrome OS takes the worry out of my life. I never worry that I'll be stuck without a useful computer, because I'm certain it'll continue to work for years to come.

Comment

After all this interest they were shown... why aren't they just going through with it? I mean sure it might show a bad example to let rumors direct a company's decisions.... but, when there was this much interest for the project it also shows a bad example to discard it. It's something they can and everyone thinks they should do (although there is technically no need for this since Linux already has being a hybrid of chromeos and android handled, but still... why not?)

Comment

Since I've never cared for ChromeOS, I really don't care whether it gets merged into Android or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Since I've never cared for ChromeOS, I really don't care whether it gets merged into Android or not.
                  Most Phoronix readers aren't your average Windows user who regularly gets infected by malware. Since Android has both a malware and OS upgrade issue, it's not ideal for them either. Chrome OS being both stateless and guaranteed regular updates is perfect for this kind of user.

Comment

Working...
                  X