Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment E20 Wayland Support Continues To Advance

Phoronix: Enlightenment E20 Wayland Support Continues To Advance

One month after the release of the Enlightenment 0.20 Alpha with much better Wayland support that led to the Wayland support from Enlightenment 0.19 being removed, the support continues to mature...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

window closing problems
    i guess the year of the wayland desktop is still a little ways off?

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
      No it's still 2016, and continues to be 2016, as "Year of the Wayland Desktop" really just means the major non-Ubuntu-proper binary distros defaulting to the wayland sessions of GNOME Shell, and Plasma Desktop which Fedora will lead with, with Fedora 24, and other distros will start following during 2H2016.

Comment

Makes me wonder when Nvidia is going to have proper KMS with binary drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          Makes me wonder when Nvidia is going to have proper KMS with binary drivers.
          join the club... it's a major thorn in doing wl dev's side. both my main desktops are nvidia gtx970's - no kms support at all so... wl is kinda hard to do.

Comment

Meh. I tried E19, which was so hyped on my notebook and it sucks. It's supposed to be low-fat GUI, but it so strives for stupid "sexy" poointless graphic effects that it's useless.
            It's non-intuitive to setup and customize, it constantly, aggresively pushes author's view on how windows should behave and it constantly crashes or freezes.

BTW, WTF would I need terminal emulator that can open multimedia files ? What's so great about that ?

Not to mention overly optimistic claims regarding Wayland support. E19 supposed to work with Wayland without a problem, but I couldn't start it for the life of me.
            I switched back to XFCE. F**k Enlightenment. Ignorance is bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post
              Maybe they're going for mobile-style, where you don't actually close the windows, but the OS swaps is out of memory and, if needed, kills it for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                Meh. I tried E19, which was so hyped on my notebook and it sucks. It's supposed to be low-fat GUI, but it so strives for stupid "sexy" poointless graphic effects that it's useless.
                It's non-intuitive to setup and customize, it constantly, aggresively pushes author's view on how windows should behave and it constantly crashes or freezes.

BTW, WTF would I need terminal emulator that can open multimedia files ? What's so great about that ?

Not to mention overly optimistic claims regarding Wayland support. E19 supposed to work with Wayland without a problem, but I couldn't start it for the life of me.
                I switched back to XFCE. F**k Enlightenment. Ignorance is bliss.
                Watching a movie while doing some terminal work? Opening up some notes with relevant info in them? Listening to music without either switching back and forth between the desktop and the terminal or typing in a long command to open the MP3?

I can see quite a number of use cases for it. Which is why my own terminal emulator supports a wide array of multimedia files and other interactive use cases, as well.

Comment

Once configured Enlightenment is still the best desktop I have ever used. There are many little things, like being able to switch the virtual desktop with alt+F1-F4 while dragging a window, that make it awesome to use. After installing I always turn off some features I don't use (e.g. edge bindings, mouse over window to focus), but after that it's just perfect for my workflow.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
                    Once configured Enlightenment is still the best desktop I have ever used. There are many little things, like being able to switch the virtual desktop with alt+F1-F4 while dragging a window, that make it awesome to use. After installing I always turn off some features I don't use (e.g. edge bindings, mouse over window to focus), but after that it's just perfect for my workflow.
                    HA. I didn't know that trick with switch VD while dragging.

For all the things E misses (ie lasso selection on the desktop) it has a number of things like the one above.

Comment

Working...
                    X