Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Moves To Non-Root X.Org Server By Default

Phoronix: Debian Moves To Non-Root X.Org Server By Default

Distributions have been working on it for years to let the X.Org Server run without root privileges. This feat has now been accomplished for Debian testing users where if using systemd and a DRM/KMS graphics driver, you can run the xorg-server as a user...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

arm...
    I could run X from under my user for many years on Gentoo. WTH?

Comment

Did you ever hear about setuid?
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
        arm...
        I suppose you don't know what setuid root executable is? You were able to run it as a non-root user because the X binary was setuid root, which is equivalent of running the program as root.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          arm...
          I believe if you start the server with /etc/init.d/xdm then it does start the server as root.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I believe if you start the server with /etc/init.d/xdm then it does start the server as root.
            Believe is for churches, facts count. Fact is that most distributions (including Gentoo) by default start the X server as root, regardless how you launch it (using a DM, using startx, ...).

Some distributions, like Arch and Gentoo, at least provide documentation on how to do it the non-root way.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

Believe is for churches, facts count. Fact is that most distributions (including Gentoo) by default start the X server as root, regardless how you launch it (using a DM, using startx, ...).

Some distributions, like Arch and Gentoo, at least provide documentation on how to do it the non-root way.
              Apparently you aren't a native english speaker. I admit it's not easy to catch the meaning in a lot of sentences. I didn't say I know, instead I said I believe, which really means I don't know for sure. Maybe I should have said that instead of I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Apparently you aren't a native english speaker. I admit it's not easy to catch the meaning in a lot of sentences. I didn't say I know, instead I said I believe, which really means I don't know for sure. Maybe I should have said that instead of I believe.
                At least I knew what you meant Duby
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Believe is for churches, facts count.
                  Yeesh, someone is a little touchy.

Comment

I am pretty sure that documentation is outdated ... when I start GNOME via GDM (on Arch), I have Xorg processes running as my own uid and as the gdm user, and no X server running as root.

Comment

Working...
                    X