No announcement yet.

Nouveau Has Some Re-Clocking Improvements, But Still No GTX 900 Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Has Some Re-Clocking Improvements, But Still No GTX 900 Acceleration

Phoronix: Nouveau Has Some Re-Clocking Improvements, But Still No GTX 900 Acceleration

David Airlie has pulled the Nouveau DRM driver changes into his DRM-Next tree, which will then end up in Linux 4.4 within the next few days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The firmware isn't available for download, but you surely can extract it from the proprietary driver, can't you?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      The firmware isn't available for download, but you surely can extract it from the proprietary driver, can't you?
      Unfortunately indications are that they changed things around so that the firmware is no longer uploaded over MMIO/mmap'd ranges, but is instead DMA'd by the GPU itself from system memory. This type of transfer isn't (and can't be) captured in mmiotrace.

A dedicated individual could instrument things further to dump specific areas of system memory when we detect the dma parameters are uploaded, but that's much trickier. Probably only 2 people (myself not included) qualified to even attempt this, and neither of them have had the time or interest.

Of course even once you have the firmware, getting it uploaded is no easy feat with the secure firmware logic. Patches have been sent by an NVIDIA employee for making it work with GM20B (Tegra X1) but that logic is allegedly insufficient for desktop GPU chips, even in the presence of firmware availability. The whole situation is a big clusterf*ck.

Comment

Oh NVidia, why are you doing this? This reminds me why my next card it going to be from team red again.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          Oh NVidia, why are you doing this?
          nVidia does not do nothing really, they droped nv driver long time ago and said how people should use VESA driver... so why people does not use VESA i dunno

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...kills_nv&num=1

Comment

Will this new magic work on a GTX 750Ti or on my trusty old 9800 GTX? There should be a better way to sign the firmware and allow it to be extracted into Nouveau as I am sure they were aware of that method being used for certain older cards.
            Last edited by DeepDayze; 03 November 2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

Unfortunately indications are that they changed things around so that the firmware is no longer uploaded over MMIO/mmap'd ranges, but is instead DMA'd by the GPU itself from system memory. This type of transfer isn't (and can't be) captured in mmiotrace.

A dedicated individual could instrument things further to dump specific areas of system memory when we detect the dma parameters are uploaded, but that's much trickier. Probably only 2 people (myself not included) qualified to even attempt this, and neither of them have had the time or interest.

Of course even once you have the firmware, getting it uploaded is no easy feat with the secure firmware logic. Patches have been sent by an NVIDIA employee for making it work with GM20B (Tegra X1) but that logic is allegedly insufficient for desktop GPU chips, even in the presence of firmware availability. The whole situation is a big clusterf*ck.
              Could this also damage the current relationship between nouveau and nvidia?

Comment

Is there something to damage?

Comment

Originally posted by vitalif View Post
                  Is there something to damage?
                  LOL (stupid char limit)
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                  X