Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE 42.1 Tweaked For Better Out-Of-The-Box Performance

Phoronix: OpenSUSE 42.1 Tweaked For Better Out-Of-The-Box Performance

Back in September I posted Fedora vs. openSUSE vs. Manjaro vs. Debian vs. Ubuntu vs. Mint Linux Benchmarks. Of that six-way Linux distribution comparison, several Phoronix readers complained that I was somehow anti-openSUSE or that testing out-of-the-box distribution performance isn't right, since openSUSE 42.1 Leap tended to lose the most in that testing. Well, thanks to those tests, the out-of-the-box performance for openSUSE 42.1 is now going to be better...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So we changed the rule and now we're using Deadline for SSDs. On The SSDs that like NOOP its not as fast as it could be, but its a much nicer default
    seems like it might be a good idea to identify what schedulers work best on what SSDs and set it appropriately?

Comment

Michael,

You're being unfair to SUSE! I kid... mostly. Anyway I think they probably intend, after keeping a bit of an eye on some of the changes they've been making on the OBS stuff and package QA... openQA etc, they will be doing a continuous integrations approach to benchmarks. Yep, benchmarks are sort of like profilers for what's going slow/sucking and what needs attention, at the user experience level almost, but of course the SSD thing could actually still slip through unless they have a wide flavouring of hardware. So things like the SSD stuff could actually still slip by. Still though, a metrics based approach to "how will this feel to the user, speed wise" is going to be a nice thing to add in. Now if only firefox figured out wth makes it so sluggish with tabs/flash with similiar metrics... rather than having their profiler completely miss what I can record with a camera...

Comment

Working...
      X