Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Decisions From This Week's Summit

Phoronix: Various Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Decisions From This Week's Summit

Aside from trying to make Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Python-3-only, Kubuntu developers planning for Xenial, and Mark Shuttleworth's keynote, there's also been a lot of other interesting sessions to happen over the first two days of this week's Ubuntu Online Summit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish they chose MariaDB 10.1 with the data at rest encryption capability.

Comment

- Qt 5.5 might be the default Qt version even though Qt 5.6 will be a Qt LTS release. There's concern of going for Qt 5.6 since it's not landing until December while Qt 5.6.1 will be close to the April debut of Ubuntu 16.04.

As an Arch Linux user the way Ubuntu works make me mad... 16.04 will be a LTS release and they will use an non-LTS version of Qt...Meanwhile on Qt on this stage is under rapid developement and every realease brings many bug-fixes...I don't even see any reason to to upgrade from 5.5 to 5.6 the official repositories after the release of Ubuntu 16.04 and give its users all the bug fixes and features that Qt 5.6 will bring...
      I deeply understand KDE developers on posts like this

Last week we got quite some criticism about the quality of KDE Plasma 5 on the Internet. This came rather surprising for us and is at least in my opinion highly undeserved. So far what we saw is th…

Comment

Qt WebKit is a vital module with no good alternative, and they're dropping it before LTS... That might have been an argument in Ubuntu devs' decision.

And KDE devs' complaining falls on deaf ears, it's all their fault for changing minor (5.x -> 5.y) releases like socks and positioning alpha quality software as stable. That indeed jeopardizes all the concepts in software versioning that Ubuntu has been relying on.

Qt is also releasing minor versions too quickly and not enough bugfix releases.

Comment

Wait, what? Gnome Software? Wasn't Canonical working on its own new store that will work across all form factors from desktop to smartphones?

Comment

Is there any piece of desktop software by Canonical that gained major traction and is widely used by other distributions?

Comment

Originally posted by BlaXpirit View Post
              Qt WebKit is a vital module with no good alternative, and they're dropping it before LTS... That might have been an argument in Ubuntu devs' decision.

And KDE devs' complaining falls on deaf ears, it's all their fault for changing minor (5.x -> 5.y) releases like socks and positioning alpha quality software as stable. That indeed jeopardizes all the concepts in software versioning that Ubuntu has been relying on.

Qt is also releasing minor versions too quickly and not enough bugfix releases.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Hear, hear.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                Wait, what? Gnome Software? Wasn't Canonical working on its own new store that will work across all form factors from desktop to smartphones?

they are but since no one likes ubuntu software center (it's dead since 2013) and ubuntu 16.04 is agains x with unity 7...

for Qt, it's not a problem since they already have a ppa for the new version, the big problem with this new ubuntu distro is systemD

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

they are but since no one likes ubuntu software center (it's dead since 2013) and ubuntu 16.04 is agains x with unity 7...

for Qt, it's not a problem since they already have a ppa for the new version, the big problem with this new ubuntu distro is systemD

Wow, I hope unity 7 gets at least some of the new icon pack unity 8 is getting.

What's wrong with systemD ? sD is great!

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
                    I wish they chose MariaDB 10.1 with the data at rest encryption capability.
                    Luckily you can easily install a current MariaDB version by using the official repository.

Comment

Working...
                    X