Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uptime Funk: Using SUSE's kGraft Live Kernel Patching For Linux

Phoronix: Uptime Funk: Using SUSE's kGraft Live Kernel Patching For Linux

Last year SUSE announced KGraft as a new form of live Linux kernel patching to reduce downtime by avoiding reboots when applying kernel security updates, etc. The initial combined infrastructure work of kGraft and Red Hat's Kpatch was merged in Linux 4.0. Here's how SUSE is showing off their live kernel patching method...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Brb switching all my servers to openSUSE

Comment

I'd be interested to know how well this works, even though I strive to have most services HA there are some that are just a pain to reboot. Of course if the kernel then crashed I can still reboot

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
        I'd be interested to know how well this works, even though I strive to have most services HA there are some that are just a pain to reboot. Of course if the kernel then crashed I can still reboot
        Well, first of all. You probably still want the HA-stuff. Because sometimes things fail which have nothing to do with kernel updates. Like hardware.

What this is for is: security updates.

These patches won't get you any new features, kernel upgrades, probably no driver fixes or anything like that.

And if you want fast reboots there already exists: kexec.

People are already working on combining that with things like saving state with CRIU (which you can also use to migrate processes or containers from one host to an other).

Comment

Originally posted by Lennie View Post

Well, first of all. You probably still want the HA-stuff. Because sometimes things fail which have nothing to do with kernel updates. Like hardware.
          Indeed, especially since I'm usually forced to run things on some black blox virtualization system (or the cloud), so there is also the underlying system to worry about.

What this is for is: security updates.
          And this is the most important part since it's usually unwise to put those off, but it still requires to ruffle a few feathers elsewhere (politics...).

Comment

Working...
          X