It Was Five Years Ago Since Ubuntu Thought They Would Switch To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Was Five Years Ago Since Ubuntu Thought They Would Switch To Wayland

Phoronix: It Was Five Years Ago Since Ubuntu Thought They Would Switch To Wayland

This week marks five years since Mark Shuttleworth shared with us Ubuntu intended to eventually switch to a Wayland-based environment for their Unity desktop rather than an X.Org Server... Most Phoronix readers know how that turned out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, 5 years ago

Comment

I hope SteamOS switches to Wayland in the future.
      I saw a presentation where a Valve employee seemed doubtful, and replied "What would be the benefit to the gamer"
      Certainly improved security. Hopefully improved performance too

Comment

And had they stuck to that plan rather than wandering off to pursue their own foolishness, Wayland would already be entrenched on (nearly) everyone's desktop. It's not Thanks, Obama; it's Thanks, Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
          I hope SteamOS switches to Wayland in the future.
          I saw a presentation where a Valve employee seemed doubtful, and replied "What would be the benefit to the gamer"
          Certainly improved security. Hopefully improved performance too
          SteamOS would get zero benefit from switching to Wayland as it's basically just a fullscreen Steam Big Picture. Fullscreen games or applications already bypass most of X already so Wayland won't bring any noticeable performance or usuability improvement in this case.
          As for security, they couldn't care less about it. All they want is relative pointer motion and pointer lock, which are not available yet on Wayland.
          Last edited by Scias; 06 November 2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
            And had they stuck to that plan rather than wandering off to pursue their own foolishness, Wayland would already be entrenched on (nearly) everyone's desktop. It's not Thanks, Obama; it's Thanks, Canonical.

mir is working in phones, they control the product and control it is the point, if it was a good ideia or a bad one we will see, and about ready if they make another choice i doubt

Comment

Mir or Wayland for phones, X for the Desktop as always.

Comment

When the leaders behind major open source solutions make instant, major decisions without consulting the community:

Rewind time, if Canonical didn't do Mir their market-share and the quality of their OS would be better off today. We wouldn't have Mint, Cinnamon and Linux would be more united under 1 distribution.

We also wouldn't have had to put up with Unity 7 for so long and deal with all the official Ubuntu Apps turning into pure trash - I'm looking @ you Ubuntu Software Center.

I applaud the divergence, it makes little sense to me why Canonical abandoned their users in favor of the Phone Market which they still have yet to make a dent in.

Like a unfaithful husband who throws his wife outside for a hooker Canonical has angered and cast off its users prioritizing a market they have yet to capture.

Canonical is a dictator, and there's nothing wrong with a dictatorship - dictatorships get things done - like when Hitler built that freeway at the expense of the homeowners who previously occupied that land. Lets not pretend that Canonical is a democracy, lets see it for what it is - and one day i hope to own a Ubuntu Phone or a Sailfish Phone, but using Ubuntu on the desktop is a joke.

I mean every system has its crux,

Unity hasn't changed in like 5 years (a strength & a weakness)

KDE 5 has innovated to the point of destability.

Gnome is unusable without proper extensions like Dash to Dock, Places Menu & Panther Launcher.

XFCE touts that it's simplicity - perhaps, however FOSS when it touts simplicity usually means that the software is half baked & hasn't matured to the point where 100% of features are inclusive.

Enlightenment requires tons of configuration to get cozy in.

Windows bundled with Spyware, has no immune system to fight viruses and is becoming increasingly iron fisted.

OS X will make you pay through the nose for any and every app you would get for free on another OS and their proprietary nature takes away almost all user freedoms when it comes to choice & control of their OS.

The point is each system has its defects & no system is perfect - I would sooner opt for a system that respects my privacy and is not dominated by 1 single company's interests, also my motto is if my pc is inadequate its time to get some cash to upgrade so I can maintain my freedom to choose.

For me, Arch Linux is like Helms Deep - the sanctuary and one of the last strongholds of intellectuals on this internet that's been invaded by the dumb masses. The dumb masses have infected the internet and their stupidity spreads to everyone who interacts with them. Gnome offers the most stability and a Mac like experience, perhaps overly intuitive, but that is easily turned down with 5 sane extensions added to Gnome.

And KDE is the birthing ground for amazing things like Krita of Calligra Office Suite.

<3 Linux & the Freedom to Choose. I think I have little to no interest in Choosing Mir or Ubuntu on a non Tablet/Android device which would utilize that functionality at a benefit to me the user.
                Last edited by ElectricPrism; 06 November 2015, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  When the leaders behind major open source solutions make instant, major decisions without consulting the community:

Rewind time, if Canonical didn't do Mir their market-share and the quality of their OS would be better off today.
                  Says who?

We wouldn't have Mint,
                  You seem to have your time line mixed up.

Cinnamon and Linux would be more united under 1 distribution.
                  Say what now?

We also wouldn't have had to put up with Unity 7 for so long and deal with all the official Ubuntu Apps turning into pure trash - I'm looking @ you Ubuntu Software Center.
                  What would they have used for their desktop environment instead?

I applaud the divergence, it makes little sense to me why Canonical abandoned their users in favor of the Phone Market which they still have yet to make a dent in.
                  Last I check, Ubuntu is still released for the desktop.

Like a unfaithful husband who throws his wife outside for a hooker Canonical has angered and cast off its users prioritizing a market they have yet to capture.
                  Think about what you want to say then write it.

Canonical is a dictator, and there's nothing wrong with a dictatorship - dictatorships get things done - like when Hitler built that freeway at the expense of the homeowners who previously occupied that land.

Lets not pretend that Canonical is a democracy, lets see it for what it is - and one day i hope to own a Ubuntu Phone or a Sailfish Phone, but using Ubuntu on the desktop is a joke.
                  Of course Canonical is not a democracy. It is a company. This is your delusion, not theirs.

I mean every system has its crux,

Unity hasn't changed in like 5 years (a strength & a weakness)

KDE 5 has innovated to the point of destability.

Gnome is unusable without proper extensions like Dash to Dock, Places Menu & Panther Launcher.

XFCE touts that it's simplicity - perhaps, however FOSS when it touts simplicity usually means that the software is half baked & hasn't matured to the point where 100% of features are inclusive.

Enlightenment requires tons of configuration to get cozy in.

Windows bundled with Spyware, has no immune system to fight viruses and is becoming increasingly iron fisted.

OS X will make you pay through the nose for any and every app you would get for free on another OS and their proprietary nature takes away almost all user freedoms when it comes to choice & control of their OS.

The point is each system has its defects & no system is perfect - I would sooner opt for a system that respects my privacy and is not dominated by 1 single company's interests, also my motto is if my pc is inadequate its time to get some cash to upgrade so I can maintain my freedom to choose.
                  Incoherent babble.

For me, Arch Linux is like Helms Deep - the sanctuary and one of the last strongholds of intellectuals on this internet that's been invaded by the dumb masses. The dumb masses have infected the internet and their stupidity spreads to everyone who interacts with them. Gnome offers the most stability and a Mac like experience, perhaps overly intuitive, but that is easily turned down with 5 sane extensions added to Gnome.

And KDE is the birthing ground for amazing things like Krita of Calligra Office Suite.

<3 Linux & the Freedom to Choose. I think I have little to no interest in Choosing Mir or Ubuntu on a non Tablet/Android device which would utilize that functionality at a benefit to me the user.
                  More incoherent babble.

Comment

Dude... stop... you seem to have a rather common misconception about Godwin's Law, all it states is that as the length of an internet discussion increases, the probability of someone making a comparison to Nazi's increases. It doesn't mean that the comparison is wrong, nor does it mean that the conversation is over or that the person using the comparison is in the wrong. The example you're pulling this nonsense on being a perfect example where you are the one in the wrong by trying to censor it. All he said was that canonical is a dictatorship, and that dictatorships aren't always a bad thing because they get things done, and then used the nazis as a valid example of things getting done under a dictatorship. You and the people like you shouldn't be playing this game of making it so that people can't reference Nazis ever even under circumstances when it is completely valid to do so.

Comment

Working...
                    X