Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Been 3 Years Since Valve Launched The Steam Linux Beta, Now At 1,600+ Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Been 3 Years Since Valve Launched The Steam Linux Beta, Now At 1,600+ Linux Games

Phoronix: It's Been 3 Years Since Valve Launched The Steam Linux Beta, Now At 1,600+ Linux Games

It's now been three years since Valve rolled out the Steam Linux beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think steam machines are going to successfully retain a niche market. Not come close to competing with current consoles in numbers, yet be sustainable anyway...

But whatever happens Valve foraying into Linux has had a tremendously positive impact on Linux gaming. Number of games, developer attitudes, Vulkan push, tools/ecosystem, a lot of good has happened and is happening which they were directly involved in.

Comment

New game for penguins every day, can't be better.

Comment

Currently, 1/3 of the games in my catalog are available for GNU/Linux.
        And thanks to Valve's initiative we also got GOG.com supporting GNU/Linux.

SteamOS based computers will remain niche for sure. Windows gaming is niche already, compared to consoles. But that is not the only Valve product: they have steamlink and so on.

Anyways, thinks can only improve: Vulkan, newer Linux kernel releases with incremental performance improvements, newer window protocols for desktop applications which improve the dated X.Org.

Comment

162/256 games in my library are on Linux. I only buy Linux games now. No one is betting on SteamOS or SteamMachines to compete with consoles. The best I hope for is that when game companies do a cost/benefit analysis of publishing a client on Linux that the value is positive. That is the goal I hope SteamOS and Steam Machines help achieve.

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
            I only buy Linux games now.
            Me too...

Comment

My Favorite Linux-Steam Games (under Linux I do only causal gaming)

Eryi's Action (http://eryisaction.com/) VERY funny plattformer. 2 Fun facts: a) It seems the Linux version is only avaiable for Steam. b) The Linux Version runs better than the Windows Version; under Windows the game is unplayable on non-us-keyboards.

Cave Story+: Also a nice plattfomer.

I also tried Bioshock Infinite and Serious Sam 3 under Linus however then I had already finished them on Windows.

The one thing I really missing in the Linux-client is a option to download the Windows Version of games not aviable for Linux and run them under Wine.
              Last edited by Brillus; 07 November 2015, 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

That's funny. "Thinks" and "things" mixed up...

Anyway, two of my favorite games are Portal-based games (1, 2, Portal Stories: Mel, etc.) and The Talos Principle.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  That's funny. "Thinks" and "things" mixed up...

Anyway, two of my favorite games are Portal-based games (1, 2, Portal Stories: Mel, etc.) and The Talos Principle.
                  Oh Talos Principle supports Linux, I have to tell a friend of mine who only uses Linux I am sure he will Like the game.

(Valve should have keeped the pinguine.)

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
                    162/256 games in my library are on Linux. I only buy Linux games now. No one is betting on SteamOS or SteamMachines to compete with consoles. The best I hope for is that when game companies do a cost/benefit analysis of publishing a client on Linux that the value is positive. That is the goal I hope SteamOS and Steam Machines help achieve.
                    If this were truly the case, why would they sell them at Gamestop? I think when you look at the numbers (granted they're not 100% accurate, as I'll detail under this comment) 1600+ games for a 'new' console released in Gamestop that has better specs than the PS4 and Xbox One (even the cheapest models basically do), for those people that are console spec junkies, but have never been PC gamers (the same young people who loved Star Trek Into Darkness) are going to think of them as a new Console, and will suddenly have the choice of Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U for their console fix. And the claimed 1600+ games for it make it have the largest library of all of them.

Now the problem with saying there are 1600+ games for SteamOS. Some of them are pretty rough (which is why there was that pull of the SteamOS logo from some of them). Just last night I was trying to get Trine 3 working through my Steam Link. I had to keep running into the other room to click on things with the mouse/keyboard just so we could get the controllers to work (steam controller and xbox 360 controller). you start it up, and it has a full screen configuration UI, that at first I could only configure by hitting the 'select' button to tab my way through entries, then select them. It was pretty painful, seems perhaps a firmware update to the controller fixed that, or because I was able to change the config from keyboard+mouse to controller. Either way, initial setup was horrid, and then it crashed on us a few times, and I had to turn down the Anti-aliasing on the 4th level or so because the framerate just decided to die. They also haven't fixed muli-monitor support with the Link.

Of course some of these issues may be due to my own fault, but Trine 3 launching a configuration screen where the controller only sort of works, and The Chaos Engine does the same thing. I'm wondering how well SteamOS itself would handle it, maybe I'll stick it on a drive somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X