Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D OpenMAX Adds Headless Support

Phoronix: Gallium3D OpenMAX Adds Headless Support

Thanks to work done by AMD, the Gallium3D "OMX" OpenMAX state tracker will now support headless operation for video decoding/encoding/transcoding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Openmax is such an interesting trainwreck. In theory it should have supplanted vdpau and vaapi but has failed to do either and now is only supported pretty much by AMD. And its a shame, since it would have been accelerated encode / decode all in one for any format if Intel and Nvidia actually supported it rather than sticking with their own things that nobody else uses except AMD (which makes it super ironic that radeonsi supports all three APIs to varying degrees).

Comment

It make sense to suport every API if or as far as possibile... simply, someone might want it.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        It make sense to suport every API if or as far as possibile... simply, someone might want it.
        I don't disagree, but there are other APIs that are likely more useful or are in higher demand. Regardless, I'm not complaining that this was added.

Comment

Hmm.. Now AMD APUs can be used for transcoding videos with VCE on a headless DLNA server. The bad thing we still dont have any dlna server with that capability.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            Openmax is such an interesting trainwreck.<snip> things that nobody else uses except AMD (which makes it super ironic that radeonsi supports all three APIs to varying degrees).
            Well, I think there are billions of androids to prove you wrong ;-).
            But I guess it is a trainwreck, because it allows for proprietary libs, instead of open kernel drivers with proprietary firmware blob.
            Probably the reason samsung made video4linux memory2memory API.

Comment

First and formost it has to work and not display something like a green screen. (vaapi) Then you can talk about support.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

First and formost it has to work and not display something like a green screen. (vaapi) Then you can talk about support.
                vaapi works for me at least in mpv.

Comment

vaapi works for me at least in mpv.
                  last time i set it up it gives me a green screen in firefox which is my main app for watching videos.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

last time i set it up it gives me a green screen in firefox which is my main app for watching videos.
                    That is/was a bug in gst IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                    X