Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Rawhide Enables Wayland By Default, Where Supported

Phoronix: Fedora Rawhide Enables Wayland By Default, Where Supported

Seven years after announcing Wayland and three years since Wayland 1.0, Fedora developers are preparing to be the first tier-one desktop Linux distribution to use it by default for supported drivers/hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

dont expect Wayland to be Default in f24. https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipe...er/216694.html

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
      dont expect Wayland to be Default in f24. https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipe...er/216694.html
      It depends how many resources they devote to this: may is distant enough for close the gap, if they have serious intentions.

Comment

as much as i have respect for Dave Airlie and his contributions. this would be one thing i really can't even begin to like

whole wayland is completely on standstill because of arguments like that. fuck if it breaks something. that person should simply run X11 and report bugs, just as people now selected wayland

it is a fucking chicken and egg problem from all sides

- "wait for wayland support in apps" from one side and "no reason to do it because no one uses wayland" from another
        - same thing goes for xdg_shell evolution. patches being in bikeshed waiting for more desktops to add their opinion http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/024764.html . yet, most desktops practically just ignore that since for now it works for everyone because no one runs wayland. and to make it worse, when xdg_shell will be finished all those desktops will probably start to scream how one desktop just took care of their own needs while forgetting that no one even bothered to help design the damn thing
        - proprietary drivers also wait for wayland to start adopting

this is circular fucking dependency that can't even begin to solve unless it takes a bit of showing down the throat

p.s. wtf is with these flash adds? i don't enable AddBlock just to support phoronix, but my cpu being 100% overtaken by adds whole time is just too much. could at least adds be fucking sane in not completely hampering whole computer?
        Last edited by justmy2cents; 10 November 2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Are we talking about native wayland or xwayland?

Comment

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
            Are we talking about native wayland or xwayland?
            making wayland as default session. you can't do that with Xwayland

Comment

Wayland will be default for Fedora 24 (for all supported drivers), I fully expect that to happen.

As for Optimus, sorry, it doesn't work properly with Xorg either at the moment, so for majority of users it's not regression. Majority of issues are non-critical at least from short term supported distro POV. If GNOME works, If all major applications works - ship it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                Wayland will be default for Fedora 24 (for all supported drivers), I fully expect that to happen.

As for Optimus, sorry, it doesn't work properly with Xorg either at the moment, so for majority of users it's not regression. Majority of issues are non-critical at least from short term supported distro POV. If GNOME works, If all major applications works - ship it.
                an risk losing a lot of users cause it doesnt work on there machine? good idea that , i tried Wayland Gnome Session the other day, it didnt shutdown at all. i havent tried it since then. ( f23 )

Comment

an risk losing a lot of users cause it doesnt work on there machine? good idea that , i tried Wayland Gnome Session the other day, it didnt shutdown at all. i havent tried it since then. ( f23 )

Losing lot of users...LOL Sure, it will hurt anybody to stay on Fedora 23 in case Fedora 24 won't work for them. Yeaaah right.

I understand skepticism is cool and stuff, but Wayland *will* replace Xorg. There's no way to stop this. It's over.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

as much as i have respect for Dave Airlie and his contributions. this would be one thing i really can't even begin to like

whole wayland is completely on standstill because of arguments like that. fuck if it breaks something. that person should simply run X11 and report bugs, just as people now selected wayland

it is a fucking chicken and egg problem from all sides

- "wait for wayland support in apps" from one side and "no reason to do it because no one uses wayland" from another
                    - same thing goes for xdg_shell evolution. patches being in bikeshed waiting for more desktops to add their opinion http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/024764.html . yet, most desktops practically just ignore that since for now it works for everyone because no one runs wayland. and to make it worse, when xdg_shell will be finished all those desktops will probably start to scream how one desktop just took care of their own needs while forgetting that no one even bothered to help design the damn thing
                    - proprietary drivers also wait for wayland to start adopting

this is circular fucking dependency that can't even begin to solve unless it takes a bit of showing down the throat

p.s. wtf is with these flash adds? i don't enable AddBlock just to support phoronix, but my cpu being 100% overtaken by adds whole time is just too much. could at least adds be fucking sane in not completely hampering whole computer?
                    He removed the option to just use X11. That is what I complained about.

But hey reading is hard.
                    Dave.

Comment

Working...
                    X