Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA JTX1: Finally An Exciting 64-bit ARM Board!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA JTX1: Finally An Exciting 64-bit ARM Board!

Phoronix: NVIDIA JTX1: Finally An Exciting 64-bit ARM Board!

NVIDIA's embargo has just expired on the Jetson TX1: a 64-bit ARM development board that's worth getting excited about for Linux enthusiasts, those wishing to build their own ARM-powered devices, or just wanting a powerful ARM Linux desktop. The Jetson TX1 powered by the Tegra X1 is shaping up to be a splendid device; NVIDIA is even comparing the performance of the JTX1 to that of an Intel Core i7 6700K in certain tasks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This SoC is pretty old by now.

Comment

Nvidia releases board that is pretty much incompatible with Windows.(for gaming purposes anyway, I have heard that some windows someday will support arm, may be does so already, but without DX support).
      Add to fact, low RAM count, and it leads me to believe, main audience for this device is Linux crowd. Make me think twice. What do they have on the mind? Is it some sort of experiment?

Comment

$599? Are they serious?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          Nvidia releases board that is pretty much incompatible with Windows.(for gaming purposes anyway, I have heard that some windows someday will support arm, may be does so already, but without DX support).
          Add to fact, low RAM count, and it leads me to believe, main audience for this device is Linux crowd. Make me think twice. What do they have on the mind? Is it some sort of experiment?
          It's just like the Jetson TK1 - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...q=Jetson%20TK1
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

"NVIDIA is even comparing the performance of the JTX1 to that of an Intel Core i7 6700K in certain tasks."

Yeah, well I can compare a 386 to Skylake too.
            Doesn't mean I recommend the 386.

This reminds me of the malarkey from the K1 launch where they did a dog & pony show pretending it was faster than Haswell.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
              $599? Are they serious?
              It's cheaper than the other, limited high-end 64-bit ARM boards currently available.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It's just like the Jetson TK1
                It sure is-- with another fan-based cooler. I thought it uses <10W? At least in this case you could likely just disconnect or remove the fan and it would only get warm, because the heatsink now has some bulk. At any rate, I'd like to have one.

Comment

Nvidia needs to make a Raspberry Pi like board for $50. Faster than the Pi 2 but with some compute capability so they can push their CUDA to all the people. Broadcom is winning the embedded fight and people don't even realize it.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    It's cheaper than the other, limited high-end 64-bit ARM boards currently available.
                    Right. But my excuse for buying one would be as a PC replacement for someone that mostly surfs the web and does software development, and doesn't play any fancy games. That's a lot more than I hoped to spend.

Comment

Working...
                    X