Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• libvpx 1.5.0 Released With Speed & Quality Maturity For VP9

Phoronix: libvpx 1.5.0 Released With Speed & Quality Maturity For VP9

Libvpx 1.5.0 was released yesterday as the newest version of Google's VP9 encoder/decoder...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems to be very true. I've did encoding of 1080p uncompressed movie part to VP9, targeting just a mere 1000kbis/s (like 120kbytes/s, several times lower than typical youtube movie would have at 1080p). The result? Oh, I can barely notice any compression artifacts in very few scenes, even if I know what to look for. And even after expanding movie to 2560x1600 screen it looks reasonably enough. And all it at just mere 1000kbits. Whoa, that's what I would call good codec any time of day. Though it may need some speed uplift in encoding

And except everything else, while VP8 receives less attention, it seems to be nice for weaker machines and its bitrate to quality ratio has been noticeably improved over time. Though of course it is not match to VP9, which far better in this regard (but also takes more CPU to decode and even more to encode).

Comment

Working...
    X