NVIDIA's Brief Comment About Nouveau / Open-Source Drivers On Tegra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Brief Comment About Nouveau / Open-Source Drivers On Tegra

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Brief Comment About Nouveau / Open-Source Drivers On Tegra

For a number of months now there's been several NVIDIA developers working on improving the open-source Nouveau driver particularly around the Tegra series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, I'll believe thier intensions when they will provide the firmware for my gtx970.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
      Well, I'll believe thier intensions when they will provide the firmware for my gtx970.
      I don't think that anyone really expects any nvidia support for nouveau outside of tegra. They may have made signed firmware commitments, bit I've not heard any confident nouveau voices related to firmware for a longtime.
      It's great that they've put some money/time into nouveau, including some mesa refactoring etc; which seems to have benefited the non-tegra gallium drivers.
      The truth about using nvidia on Linux is that you either like their driver model, or you can suck it for future hardware (again, tegra excepted)

Comment

"We are optimistic about the trajectory of our continued contributions to Nouveau and the relationships we are building with the community."
        What a total PR answer that says absolutely nothing at all about anything.

It's basically a nicer sounding version of "no comment".
        Last edited by smitty3268; 11 November 2015, 03:44 PM.

Comment

The Tegra 2 was released 2010. 2015 still no opensource 3d driver.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            What a total PR answer that says absolutely nothing at all about anything.

It's basically a nicer sounding version of "no comment".
            Yep. Very positive sounding, without actually saying anything of substance.

Comment

These days most companies are like that. Lots of bullshit inside. On the outside they try to be stupidly pretty like a dumb blonde

Comment

Crappy PR bullshit from nvidia. They haven't even released firmwares for 900 series. And they dare to call it "trajectory"? So much for "interaction".

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
                  These days most companies are like that. Lots of bullshit inside. On the outside they try to be stupidly pretty like a dumb blonde
                  As you can see, some companies manage to overcome it eventually, at least to some degree. And nvidia is really like a blonde. They do not seems to have bright future on x86, since Intel got their own integrated GPUs amd AMD isn't bad at making their APUs ether. And nvidia already has once been making x86 chip sets, eventually being kicked out of the market by AMD and Intel when these decided to make chipsets on their own. Now something like this happens to GPUs. And when it comes to Linux, it comes to the fact project manager calls them "worst company ever". Very interesting approach, let them keep same course and speed and it would be kinda interesting if they would eventually turn into Nokia of GPU world thanks to chosen "trajectory".

Comment

I still wonder what they're planning to get out of this - their binary driver works already, and with all the other blobs on Android I doubt the tablet OEMs care about one more.

Who (other than Linux hobbyists) is pushing for FOSS Tegra drivers? People building scientific computing clusters?

Comment

Working...
                    X