Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parallel Query Support Coming To PostgreSQL 9.6

Phoronix: Parallel Query Support Coming To PostgreSQL 9.6

For PostgreSQL users, the next 9.6 release should be particularly exciting as the parallel sequential scan / parallel query support has been committed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This will be sweet. Some storage systems can keep increasing the parallelism up and up. I think our company's SAN gets faster up to 32.

Of course it's going to be obsolete next year as we drop everything into distributed, scaleable cloud systems with Amazon Dynamo, Redis and other NoSQL services.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
      Of course it's going to be obsolete next year as we drop everything into distributed, scaleable cloud systems with Amazon Dynamo, Redis and other NoSQL services.
      Why are you doing that? Serious question. I think a lot of these things make promises they can't keep, and unless your workload varies widely the flexibility offered by EC2/AWS and the like isn't worth the tremendous additional cost and vendor lock-in. What are the limitations you're looking to solve?

Comment

Sweet sweet progress on Postgres!

Now I wish they had 10000 salesmen that would go and wine and dine various corporate managers and persuaded them to get PostgreSQL...

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
          Now I wish they had 10000 salesmen that would go and wine and dine various corporate managers and persuaded them to get PostgreSQL...
          I doubt they are 10000 but folks at EnterpriseDB tend to do that ;-)

Comment

You know that hype is already 7 years old. They have their place in the current world, certainly, but they will not replace postgresql. If anything, they just complement eachother, and if you make good use of the combination, your site will be faster *and* need less hardware. And you should also add search engines like solr. If you combine a good database, a good and very fast key-value store, a search index like solr, good caching with varnish, a cdn like mogile and you can replace an 80 server park with 10 servers, and perform better.

Comment

And then reimplement the data-integrity systems that relational databases do for you already. No thanks, Postgres is rapidly gaining the ability to do both. JSONB, HSTORE, now lovely parallelism and hopefully multi-master replication soon.

Postgres is an example of a software solution solving things correctly and not inventing new solutions every 6 months.

Comment

More than a year waiting BDR in 9.5... Now this... Postgres its like passion... A mix of love and hate...

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                  You know that hype is already 7 years old. They have their place in the current world, certainly, but they will not replace postgresql. If anything, they just complement eachother, and if you make good use of the combination, your site will be faster *and* need less hardware. And you should also add search engines like solr. If you combine a good database, a good and very fast key-value store, a search index like solr, good caching with varnish, a cdn like mogile and you can replace an 80 server park with 10 servers, and perform better.
                  I meant that where I work we currently use PostgreSQL. And next year we won't. And everything will be a lot faster.

Comment

Working...
                  X