Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Experts LunarG Split Into Two, Mobile Guys Head To Google

Phoronix: Vulkan Experts LunarG Split Into Two, Mobile Guys Head To Google

LunarG, the consulting company built around open-source graphics driver work that's long been involved within Mesa/Gallium3D, has announced they've split into two...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm... the day after Valve ships a Games Console. Concerns over conflicts of interests? Maybe Google is eyeing up an Android entry into the console market too?

Conspiracy theories!

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      Hmm... the day after Valve ships a Games Console. Concerns over conflicts of interests? Maybe Google is eyeing up an Android entry into the console market too?

Conspiracy theories!
      These days too many consoles could destroy the console market, people would just buy PC. Well nothing is for certain.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

Conspiracy theories!
        Maybe Google just want support Vulkan on the next Android version

Comment

Google IS working on Vulkan to support it on the next Android version:

Hopefully the specification is going to be out soon and more companies will be more open about it. Till then, I guess we won't learn much for sure (plans, release dates, ports, etc).

Comment

I think is more like conflict of interest where Valve was trying to make a good clean framework while Google wanted to insert DRM and other nasty stuffs into it.

I hope this will bring android to develop its own API that it's so fucked up, to the point that its not even vulkan anymore.

Fuck Google everyday

Comment

Remembering how crap drivers for OpenGL on Android used to be (and to some extent still are) I'm not surprised that Google is looking for some help to get their Vulkan implementation right from the get-go. The developers of the Dolphin Gamecube emulator wrote a pretty telling "Hall of Shame/Fame"-type article not too long ago:
              In light of the recent announcements by NVIDIA and AMD in support of Linux for their graphics drivers, we would like to share with the world some of the experience we had developing our open source project, Dolphin, a GameCube and Wii emulator for Windows, Linux, Mac and recently Android....

As for DRM, while Google has definitely started to lock up anything and everything related to Android I doubt they're going to do anything as counter-productive as shove DRM into shader code. They already have enough of it as it is in the API's that the host code relies on and it'll cause a lot less problems when put there rather than shader code.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                Remembering how crap drivers for OpenGL on Android used to be (and to some extent still are) I'm not surprised that Google is looking for some help to get their Vulkan implementation right from the get-go. The developers of the Dolphin Gamecube emulator wrote a pretty telling "Hall of Shame/Fame"-type article not too long ago:
                https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09...all-fameshame/
                Yes, but drivers for what? I think it's highly unlikely Google will start to write drivers for everything that runs Android today (from Qualcomm and mediatek to Broadcom and who knows what else). I would hope they're working on their own silicon (I've heard that rumor before), but realistically they just baking Vulkan support into Android's APIs. Which is still good news because I trust an implementation from Google more than I trust one from the manufacturers.

Comment

It's good to see Google serious about supporting Vulkan in Android. This will instantly give Vulkan the largest install base out of all the existing APIs, and will hence greatly benefit Linux.

Comment

Working...
                  X