Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.55 Adds The PulseAudio Driver

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.55 Adds The PulseAudio Driver

Wine 1.7.55 was released this morning with some exciting changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In this wine version have partially* fixed flickering issue in vaious titles like as WRC 1 to 3, Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2, Dark Souls, Dinasty Warriors Orochi and maybe others

*Dark Souls 2 still affected

And other issue solved have relation with mouse turn around issue in various titles like as FEAR 3, Batman Arkham Asylum, Batman Arkham City, Batman Arkham Origins, Risen 1, Risen 2, Ghostbusters the videogame and maybe others

Last edited by pinguinpc; 13 November 2015, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Since I don't really use wine all that much, what exactly is the benefit of using PA in wine, other than easier volume management? I'm not against adding the feature (if anything I think it's a good thing) I'm just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Since I don't really use wine all that much, what exactly is the benefit of using PA in wine, other than easier volume management? I'm not against adding the feature (if anything I think it's a good thing) I'm just wondering.
        Things not breaking. With winealsa, when using PulseAudio, you get a path of Program → winealsa → ALSA → PulseAudio → ALSA → hardware. With winepulse, you get Program → winepulse → PulseAudio → ALSA → hardware. That means PulseAudio can do stuff natively instead of going through (and relying on) an extra ALSA compatibility layer. From what I can tell, that means no more garbled audio, lower audio latency and lower CPU usage.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Things not breaking. With winealsa, when using PulseAudio, you get a path of Program → winealsa → ALSA → PulseAudio → ALSA → hardware. With winepulse, you get Program → winepulse → PulseAudio → ALSA → hardware. That means PulseAudio can do stuff natively instead of going through (and relying on) an extra ALSA compatibility layer. From what I can tell, that means no more garbled audio, lower audio latency and lower CPU usage.
          Yup, that definitely sounds like a good reason to add PA. Not to mention, I'm sure there's better surround sound support or LFE remixing, but that obviously doesn't apply to most people. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Wine devs merged a pulseaudio driver? Hell must have frozen over. I knew Satan couldn't keep up the payments on that enormous heating bill forever.

Comment

So what is the reason to merge pulse now? Sounds like politics again

When it cames from Canonical it is not good, but when it cames from Intel it is good or something? Or Maarten does not maintain patches anymore... so pure laziness?
              Last edited by dungeon; 13 November 2015, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Pulse audio is causing a lot of problems in linux world, just see the web.
                I see lots of computer illiterates and zealous people with an agenda. Not sure I can blame pulseaudio for that.

For gamers and bluetooth file transfer, alsa works fine. Pulseaudio sets a process that takes 2% of cpu time and hangs your system.
                Disable pulse audio.
                How do you even measure 2%? Do you seriously believe +-2% CPU load is an issue? That wasn't even an issue on old Amigas...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Pulse audio is causing a lot of problems in linux world, just see the web
                  on the web you can find plenty of moronic posts like this one

Comment

i use pulseaudio for years without big issues

Comment

Working...
                    X