Everything You Need To Know About The NVIDIA Jetson TX1 Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything You Need To Know About The NVIDIA Jetson TX1 Performance

Phoronix: Everything You Need To Know About The NVIDIA Jetson TX1 Performance

While last week we were able to write about the NVIDIA Jetson TX1 development board, at that time we weren't able to share any benchmarks or hands-on experience with this ARM board powered by NVIDIA's Tegra X1 SoC. The embargo on that has now expired and as such this morning there are a lot of benchmarks to share with you. There are many benchmarks looking at different areas of the Jetson TX1 including power consumption and thermal. For kicks I've also done some comparisons against the Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 as well as other ARM hardware like the now defunct Calxeda ARM server and Raspberry Pi 2.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The price is a bit steep, it will be going against some NUC boxes and I suspect those have better CPUs, although I suppose the GPU will be hard to beat on the TX1. Also comparing this to a 5 year old atom is not fair I'd say. There are some chinese boxes with almost similar specs (quad core atom+2G ram+16G flash) that are a lot cheaper, it would be interesting to know how this compares to those boxes and also a modern NUC boxes.

Regarding arm boxes in general, there are a few things that can be a deal breaker:
    - does it run mainline linux without any extra patches and with full support for everything on the board?
    - is the gpu driver easy to get and install or are there any free drivers?

If the answer is no to any of the 2 questions then no thanks.

Comment

No OpenCL? It must be April 1st.

Why would anyone want to give their money to NVIDIA, considering the state and quality of their linux support?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Everything You Need To Know About The NVIDIA Jetson TX1 Performance

While last week we were able to write about the NVIDIA Jetson TX1 development board, at that time we weren't able to share any benchmarks or hands-on experience with this ARM board powered by NVIDIA's Tegra X1 SoC. The embargo on that has now expired and as such this morning there are a lot of benchmarks to share with you. There are many benchmarks looking at different areas of the Jetson TX1 including power consumption and thermal. For kicks I've also done some comparisons against the Tegra 2 and Tegra 3 as well as other ARM hardware like the now defunct Calxeda ARM server and Raspberry Pi 2.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22414
        btw Michael, where do you get gfxbench for arm linux?

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post

Hey Rob, no idea.... I never found any non-Android Linux ARM binaries for it, but NVIDIA sent it to me on an SD card last week. I can try to find out or if they don't mind if I send it over to you.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Hey Rob, no idea.... I never found any non-Android Linux ARM binaries for it, but NVIDIA sent it to me on an SD card last week. I can try to find out or if they don't mind if I send it over to you.
            Your story about reproducible way of doing benchmarking does not stand anymore it seems

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
              I investigated this last year when I got the Jetson TK1. Nvidia have a corporate license, which gives them access to the source code. Arm Linux and Android are pretty much the same thing, so either the Linux benchmark is already available, or porting for Nvidia was trivial.

My guess is that the license prevents redistribution of the desktop Linux version without permission. It's a bit ironic that one would have to pay thousands of dollars to run software that is freely available on Android Linux and other platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Your story about reproducible way of doing benchmarking does not stand anymore it seems
                It's still all completely reproducible and no different than the Phoronix Test Suite test profiles that require the user have a game owned on Steam or to have rights to the Doom 3 assets. As explained in the GFXBench test profile (http://openbenchmarking.org/innhold/...c1053dd30dd450), when running it there will be a prompt right away that you need to have GFXBench31_Linux/ zipped up for the test to work.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

In the 7-zip and C-ray tests, TX1 actually lost to the old TK1?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It's still all completely reproducible and no different than the Phoronix Test Suite test profiles that require the user have a game owned on Steam or to have rights to the Doom 3 assets. As explained in the GFXBench test profile (http://openbenchmarking.org/innhold/...c1053dd30dd450), when running it there will be a prompt right away that you need to have GFXBench31_Linux/ zipped up for the test to work.
                    Better do not try to answer really

Maybe i can give you idea to do some blob comercial version of test suite with those tests not really or easely publicly avalable or other problems.
                    Last edited by dungeon; 16 November 2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X