Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.5 To Have Secure Lockscreen On Wayland

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.5 To Have Secure Lockscreen On Wayland

Bhushan Shah has shared the recent work he's been doing on KDE's KWin to have proper screenlocker integration on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2016 will be the year of Kubuntu KDE... I hope the team will develop advises to spread news the social forums.

Comment

I read the blog post, and have one question : how is a separate app communicating with kwin more secure/better than a pure kwin layer/plugin? For instance : how does it prevent another app spoofing the window id?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        2016 will be the year of Kubuntu KDE... I hope the team will develop advises to spread news the social forums.
        Kubuntu is a dead-end. Nothing good can come out of anything based on Canonical's Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
          I read the blog post, and have one question : how is a separate app communicating with kwin more secure/better than a pure kwin layer/plugin? For instance : how does it prevent another app spoofing the window id?
          Why don't you ask that question in the blog's comments section?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Kubuntu is a dead-end. Nothing good can come out of anything based on Canonical's Ubuntu.
            Troll much? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Why don't you ask that question in the blog's comments section?
              Because the comment section is powered by disqus, and I don't agree with the policies...

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                What's a window id in a Wayland world? Let's answer the question concerning why no plugin: because first of all we use the existing architecture which uses a separate application. In this architecture we went for separate application to reduce the attack surface. If you manage to get the app crashed (by e.g. having your cat sit on your keyboard), the security is not compromised. Instead the screen stays locked and the app is started again. If you want more information please check my blog post (http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...n-plasma-next/ ) explaining the architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post

What's a window id in a Wayland world?
                  Fair enough...

That blog post contains all the information I was looking for, thanks.

Comment

Finally, Linux and Unix haven't had a secure lock screen in 20 years.
                    You had to do Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to kill the whole Xserver.

Windows have had this NT 4.0, maybe 3.51, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                    X