Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 228 Ships New Features

Phoronix: Systemd 228 Ships New Features

David Herrmann has announced the release of systemd 228...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

UTC timestamps now?
    Shouldn't that have been there from the start?

What's next, Unicode / UTF-8 support?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      UTC timestamps now?

systemd will become a full operating system in a few years, there will be no need to use GNU/Linux anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post

systemd will become a full operating system in a few years, there will be no need to use GNU/Linux anymore.
        Awesome, looking forward to putting the "you forgot to mention GNU" issue to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post

Awesome, looking forward to putting the "you forgot to mention GNU" issue to rest.
          And then there will only be Linux left. I doubt systemd devs will request a name like systemd/Linux since systemd was written specifically for Linux anyway.

Comment

UTC timestamps now?

It's mostly about asking the journal to show data specifying timestams in UTC instead of local time if I undestand corectly from the news file

Comment

Originally posted by busukxuan View Post
              And then there will only be Linux left. I doubt systemd devs will request a name like systemd/Linux since systemd was written specifically for Linux anyway.
              Don't underestimate the assholeness of the systemd developers.
              No, they wouldn't want it to be called systemd/Linux, they would just pull Linux into their repository (as they did with udev) and simply call it just systemd.

Comment

Don't underestimate the assholeness of the systemd developers.
                No, they wouldn't want it to be called systemd/Linux, they would just pull Linux into their repository (as they did with udev) and simply call it just systemd.
                I would cut out the name calling. It makes you more of what you call other people and devalues whatever technical arguments you may have.

systemd didn't just pull udev into its repository and result isn't not simply called systemd. The udev maintainer is one of the primary systemd developers and the code repository was merged to shared core functionality with full agreement of the developers involved and the result is called systemd-udev.

Distributions like Debian even have split the package off and Fedora is doing the same thing recently as well.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chang..._package_split
                Last edited by RahulSundaram; 18 November 2015, 04:56 PM.

Comment

drops use of /etc/mtab

Great! Glad to get rid of one of the stupidest mis-features that Linux was unfortunate to inherit.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    drops use of /etc/mtab

Great! Glad to get rid of one of the stupidest mis-features that Linux was unfortunate to inherit.
                    Actually, I've got fed up of these "your /etc/mtab is possibly stale" warnings from userland tools when it happened my rootfs is readonly (rather common occurence in embedded, etc). At the end of day tools were asking to use /proc/mounts to see REAL list. Hopefully now tools would just use it on their own and GTFO with silly complaints. Directing user to do things right is lame. Do a right thing in tools in first place, dammit. Sticking to (potentially stale) file in usual filesystem when you can see REAL state of things in procfs... isn't best idea ever for sure.

Whatever, but being unable to view proper state of mounts by using usermode tools if my rootfs is RO is a bullshit. And its great they all are in mood to fix it.
                    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 18 November 2015, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X