Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Open-Sources Visual Studio Code

Phoronix: Microsoft Open-Sources Visual Studio Code

It's already been a surprising year with Microsoft's many open-source/Linux-related announcements and 2015 isn't even over yet! There's another interesting announcement today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not based on Atom! It's based on Electron (formerly atom-shell). That's not the same, because they don't share any bit of JavaScript code, just the shell.

Comment

After reading the headline I thought they open-sourced the code of Visual Studio. Nice trolling

Comment

No one needs to look at their crappy software source and there's no meaning in opening a bit here and there while keeping all their software locked down. I don't like MIT license.

Comment

Awesome!
          Thanks Microsoft! <3

Lately I been using Atom.
          It's too bad the full-fledged real Visual Studio isn't available on Linux.

I look forward to more open source announcements by Microsoft. Would really like to see more of the .NET stack open source.

Comment

Looking forward to see this packaged in the Debian repository.

Comment

F*** you Micro$oft. I hate your latest operating systems and your privacy (ejem, spyware) policy. You can shove your code into your a**

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                F*** you Micro$oft. I hate your latest operating systems and your privacy (ejem, spyware) policy. You can shove your code into your a**
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrac...and_extinguish maybe this is the plan...

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post
                  Wow, we made it all the way to the eighth post before someone mentioned 'embrace, extend, extinguish' on an MS article. That must be some record.

Comment

In order for them to open source *anything* means that they must be running scared. The writing is on the wall, they won't make it if they don't do something to compete / keep up. The fact that they've got essentially ZERO market share in ANY market that they've entered over the last 30 years, and that the market they ARE dominant in from before that is collapsing, means that something has to change, and *right now*.

Comment

Working...
                    X