Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.5 Beta Presents New Features

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.5 Beta Presents New Features

The beta was released today for KDE's Plasma 5.5 in preparation for the official update due out in December...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm excited to test out KDE on Wayland! Not to use it for a daily driver or such, just to see how it's been coming along hands-on style.

Comment

In the original article (https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.4.95.php):
      Last edited by Nth_man; 19 November 2015, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
        In the original article (https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.4.95.php):
        I don't mean to rain on your parade or belittle the work of KDE, but no where near that many were 'fixed'
        Code:
        0547/1156 marked as DUPL
        0318/1156 marked as FIXE
        0082/1156 marked as INVA
        0078/1156 marked as WONT
        0049/1156 marked as UPST
        0046/1156 marked as WORK
        0016/1156 marked as UNMA
        0014/1156 marked as DOWN
        0002/1156 marked as LATE
        0001/1156 marked as REMI
        0001/1156 marked as BACK
        Nearly half of the bug reports were duplicates. I guess you can say over 1,000 bug reports were resolved or closed though.
        Last edited by Ouroboros; 19 November 2015, 07:32 PM.

Comment

so much talk about mir and wayland and kde not yet implements wayland, after so many time

Comment

Maybe they've finally fixed Plasma constantly crashing, or KWin crashing, or your desktop getting into an unusuable state and having to delete the .config, .cache. and .kde folders in order to log back into the desktop, or Baloo crashing, or the inability to edit a shortcut's actual icon inside a panel (I mean come on guys, KDE 4 had this)

Comment

ohh... man, 5.x is so buggy.
              Why do they even add new features?
              By the time you are starting to get a stable release, e.g. 4.xx, they switch to a newer version.
              My tumbleweed machine has been suffering not only from stuttering issues(those great oss intel drivers are soooo good) but also from high cpu usage from plasma desktop.
              They have to slow down a bit and focus once, after 3.5.12, in stability and usability.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                so much talk about mir and wayland and kde not yet implements wayland, after so many time
                Except that KDE has implemented Wayland in Plasma/Kwin since 5.4 and will have a usable preview for desktops for 5.5...

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
                  ohh... man, 5.x is so buggy.
                  Why do they even add new features?
                  By the time you are starting to get a stable release, e.g. 4.xx, they switch to a newer version.
                  My tumbleweed machine has been suffering not only from stuttering issues(those great oss intel drivers are soooo good) but also from high cpu usage from plasma desktop.
                  They have to slow down a bit and focus once, after 3.5.12, in stability and usability.
                  Don't expect a KDE6 anytime soon. Qt has nothing significant pushing it towards a 6.0, and KDE has nothing pushing a massive backwards break either. We knew early on in the release cycle of KDE4 that splitting up KDElibs and a hardware accelerated QtQuick were coming in Qt eventually and would require an overhaul to accommodate them.

Comment

They replaced the flat icons in the traditional app launcher with some colourful abominations. Even worse, the shut-down and restart icons just look like a red and a blue ball in SDDM due to their small size. They also added unnecessary borders to applications in the task-bar and a blue highlighting that looks like shit with green icons.

Normally I don't give a shit about appearance but I wish they had stuck to the flat design principles.

Comment

Working...
                    X