Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP Celebrates 20 Year Birthday

Phoronix: GIMP Celebrates 20 Year Birthday

This week marks twenty years since the start of the GIMP open-source image editing program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

``Following v2.10 release, we shall complete the GTK+3 port that is required to bring back state of the art Wacom support for Windows users. When it?s done and GIMP 3.0 is out, we shall finally be able to get started on some very exciting and much anticipated features like non-destructive editing. Please refer to Roadmap for more details.''

I don't give a rusty eff you see kay about Windows users. The rate at which this beast has turned into a giant turd waiting for GEGL/BABL OpenCL porting they could have ported it all to GTK+3 and then dropped one of the last reasons for GTK+2 to even exist.

It's a race to the bottom who can port more slowly, Mozilla, Inkscape or GIMP. My money is on GIMP for being dead last.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      It's a race to the bottom who can port more slowly, Mozilla, Inkscape or GIMP. My money is on GIMP for being dead last.
      Fedora is shipping a GTK3 based Firefox right now, and the mainline source tree is down to the last ~20 bugs: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699

Inkscape's list of "GTK3 bugs" is available here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/...field.tag=gtk3 and you can build Inkscape in GTK3 mode youself by passing it --experimental-gtk3 during config.

GIMP's port is available in the gtk3-port branch of their source tree. I can't find a list of bugs.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I hate to say it but that's one good looking desktop environment in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          I hate to say it but that's one good looking desktop environment in the picture.

Yeah, I miss those days...

Comment

So yeah ... GIMP still hasn't been ported to use the latest version of "the GIMP ToolKit". The irony...

These days, I like to think of GTK2 as being "The GIMP ToolKit", and GTK3 as being "The GNOME ToolKit". The name works either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              I don't give a rusty eff you see kay about Windows users.
              That's nice, Marc, but for all we know, Windows users are probably the majority of GIMP users.

Comment

Anniversaries like this usually make me to look around for "companions". In the case of Gimp this made me look again at CinePaint, the controversial parallel developement/spin off (choose appropriate term here) of Gimp. It has become silent. Last year there was still some activity. This year, all activity seems to have ceased. The website starts to rot...

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                  the controversial parallel developement/spin off (choose appropriate term here) of Gimp.
                  That's called a fork. I love Gimp but still need CS6. Foremost the non destructive editing is needed since long.

Comment

You mean a Fork? While waiting for non destructive editing, I need CS6 with playonlinux.

Comment

Working...
                    X