Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.5 On Wayland Is Secure, But Not Yet Ideal

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.5 On Wayland Is Secure, But Not Yet Ideal

Martin Gr??lin has written a new blog post about the state of security when using KWin/Plasma atop Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A very interesting reading, thanks. Martin, do you think we should start reporting plasma wayland bugs or it's still too early for this?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

can anything be done in the xdg shell to solve some of the problems? It sounds DS like the issue is buried in the qt layer, but if an xdg solution is developed, it could be inter-operable

Comment

Sounds to me that loading scripts during boot time ought to be eliminated. Quite like sysv scripts and startkde. Although yes, it is rather out of scope for a Wayland compositor. Maybe something to discuss in a plumbers' conference or such?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          A very interesting reading, thanks. Martin, do you think we should start reporting plasma wayland bugs or it's still too early for this?
          You absolutely should report bugs on the beta 5.5 release (or git trunk), thats what a beta is for. They won't get fixed before it launches but the sooner they are brought up the more likely they can be resolved before 5.6.

Sounds to me that loading scripts during boot time ought to be eliminated. Quite like sysv scripts and startkde.
          Theres an easy fix that most don't like hearing - systemd. KDE"s autostart and pre-boot functionality existed because there was no user session daemon like systemd's user mode across all desktops. Now the KCM can just shim over systemd oneshot units for execution rather than having a forking starting script engine internally. If KWin really wanted to get dependent it could provide GUI targets like graphical-shell.target. desktop.target, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            Theres an easy fix that most don't like hearing - systemd. KDE"s autostart and pre-boot functionality existed because there was no user session daemon like systemd's user mode across all desktops. Now the KCM can just shim over systemd oneshot units for execution rather than having a forking starting script engine internally. If KWin really wanted to get dependent it could provide GUI targets like graphical-shell.target. desktop.target, etc.
            I know that, and I'm sure Martin does too. startkde is planned to go away. But from what I can tell, he was talking about things like .bashrc and /etc/profile, sourcing environment variables from a file.

Comment

Kubuntu will be a great operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                ... if only Canonical w[snip]

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

I know that, and I'm sure Martin does too. startkde is planned to go away. But from what I can tell, he was talking about things like .bashrc and /etc/profile, sourcing environment variables from a file.
                  Acutally, AFAIK using systemd user sessions would solve it : systemd doesn't source anything. You would need to setup each application's environment in its own .service file (or include the appropriate env file). It wouldn't be a solution for non-daemon programs (such as a web browser), but it should prevent the LD_PRELOAD hack.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    Opensuse already is, by far your best choice if you want KDE.

Comment

Working...
                    X