Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's A Linux 4.4-rc2 Kernel For Easy Ubuntu Testing

Phoronix: Here's A Linux 4.4-rc2 Kernel For Easy Ubuntu Testing

Last week I spun an early Linux 4.1-rc1+ kernel for Ubuntu testing with the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA failing. With the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA still down, here's a spin of Linux 4.4-rc2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If the mainline kernel, as is, does not perform properly, why create a private patched build and then say it gives a proper performance measure of the mainline? It doesn't. You cannot compare apples and oranges.
    It be more interesting to examine why ubuntu is not acting on the Lustre problem. maybe there is some deeper trouble in Paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
      If the mainline kernel, as is, does not perform properly, why create a private patched build and then say it gives a proper performance measure of the mainline? It doesn't. You cannot compare apples and oranges.
      It be more interesting to examine why ubuntu is not acting on the Lustre problem. maybe there is some deeper trouble in Paradise.
      I'm not saying to compare this kernel to Ubuntu mainline kernel build. I'm saying this kernel is available for those who want to test Linux 4.4...

This is exactly the mainline kernel code + mainline kernel config without Lustre enabled.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yep, 4.4 RCs proven to be dodgy if you're using configs more or less similar to Ubuntu.

I've also got fallout after trying to enable WILC1000 driver from staging. Has been unwise idea to enable it for sure. It just FTBFS. How the hell it got accepted at all? Same happened to Lustre in staging as well, and I've axed it out yesterday. They messed something and there was circular modules dependence. Lol. Somehow, Ubuntu devs still haven't managed to build kernel. These days staging area is quite dodgy...

Comment

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
          If the mainline kernel, as is, does not perform properly.
          Btw, you should inform yourself on what mainline kernel is. Come on, just run make menuconfig to get idea. And FYI, Ubuntu does not builds kernels with default settings. So ubuntu's kernel config is their own invention. And btw, it pulls a lot of potentially troublesome stuff from "staging" part of kernel, which is pre-release preview code in first place. And all offending drivers preventing 4.4-rc2 build happen to be from staging. Can you get the idea: stock ubuntu config fails to compile. It's not about apples to oranges, its about using sharp axe to get rid of code preventing build. And actually ubuntu haves several kernel configs, e.g. "low-latency" and "usual". Somehow, wihle it affects rather fundamental things, performance difference usually below 10%, so it hardly could be distinguished from just measurements inaccuracy.

There're some cases where kernel version and configuration matters, but most of time it proves to be "not a big deal".

Comment

Working...
          X