No announcement yet.

Radeon Software Crimson Edition Will Reportedly Offer Better Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software Crimson Edition Will Reportedly Offer Better Linux Performance

Phoronix: Radeon Software Crimson Edition Will Reportedly Offer Better Linux Performance

We've been waiting to find out more details on Radeon Software Crimson Edition, a.k.a. the new AMD Catalyst driver, and how it will affect the Linux support... Well, apparently there are some hefty performance boosts in store...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So the new Windows UI is written in Qt... Wonder if they will share code with the Linux UI!? Same new UI for Linux? I would guess probably not but you never know...

Comment

Is that 112% better, or 112% of the previous driver? Because one is a solid improvement, the other is more than double the performance of the last release which seems excessive. Your article is worded towards the latter which is either amazing or inaccurate.

Comment

Are you sure it isn't just 55% faster? 155% total? Still very good, but there's a difference.

Comment

55% is still very significant. If you compare to the other slides you can see it's probably like that... http://cdn.videocardz.com/1/2015/11/...-Driver-32.jpg

Comment

I read this as 12 to 55% from previous driver on those titles and of course percentage can vary between products . Previous windows slide mentioned that those optimizations are advertised just for GCN hardware, also that kind of percentage expected is on dGPUs only of course, because on iGPU some of those might not exist as hardware can be capped earlier, etc...

Usual profiles if you ask me There is likely under the hood changes, but every commit does not worth advertising really
            Last edited by dungeon; 23 November 2015, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Anyone else notice that Total War (I would assume either Rome II or Attila) isn't even out on Linux yet? Interesting we are getting a performance improvement on a game not even released (and has been pending porting for 2 years now).

Comment

AMD, stop making Catalyst better so its easier just to tell everyone to use Mesa. You make me conflicted when you try to bring Catalyst back from the should-be-dead. I want that 55% speed buff on my Gallium

Comment

(AMD improves Catalyst)

"Kill Catalyst! Focus on open source drivers!"

(AMD improves open source drivers)

"Why won't you guys fix Catalyst?"

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                    Anyone else notice that Total War (I would assume either Rome II or Attila) isn't even out on Linux yet? Interesting we are getting a performance improvement on a game not even released (and has been pending porting for 2 years now).
                    Only Empire: Total War is available on Linux (without wine) today. Rome II and Attila are announced for end of this year.

Comment

Working...
                    X