Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Is A Letdown On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Is A Letdown On Linux

While leaked slides indicate AMD was planning better gaming on Linux for Crimson, in the end they really didn't deliver. Even for their mentioned games, when testing various Linux OpenGL games on three different systems the performance was largely unchanged.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD IS BANKRUPT, FINISHED!

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
      Not true.
      If AMD would be bankrupt or liquidated this would be bad for everyone, probably higher prices and less/slower innovation.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
        Actually, AMD's future never looked any brighter:

Vulkan:
        will lead to AMD winning over NVIDIA, thanks to async compute support & better double precision performance (at least when comparing GCN vs. MAXWELL) [plus with the consoles using GCN, optimizations in engines for it]

ZEN:
        AMD becomes competitive against Intel again, especially in the high-margin server field!

HSA:
        Once APUs get HBM, things will get really interesting...

Comment

ugh stop feeding the troll!

Back to the topic at hand - I'd suggest waiting for the official release, not this alpha/beta release. There's hardly a performance difference on Windows either. I'm pretty sure this software is nothing more than just a transition.

Comment

This clearly shows the power of phoronix readers! Yesterday there was a guy demanding a stop of improving the AMD proprietary driver so that mesa can catch up more easily. This is AMD's reaction...

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
              This clearly shows the power of phoronix readers! Yesterday there was a guy demanding a stop of improving the AMD proprietary driver so that mesa can catch up more easily. This is AMD's reaction...
              You might mean me, because I definitely made a comment along those lines!

Personally I am happy that Radeon Software Crimson (what a dumb long name too) isn't an improvement. We want Catalyst to die. Its a giant Windows code base that got voodoo'd to work awfully on Linux. The UX considering kernel and X upgrades was always incredibly bad, and adding any contention to the "adopt the Mesa driver" argument only hurts the solidarity of the community.

As long as there is no reason to use the proprietary AMD driver the decision process is simple - Nvidia for a best FPS per buck black box, or AMD for an open platform that runs slower. And it is much more reasonable to expect Gallium to get faster than for Nvidia to ever open up their ISAs especially when they are going in the opposite direction today with signed firmware.

I just hope any developer time that might have gone into Catalyst instead went into Gallium. AMD is so close to having the definitive Linux graphics driver, if only it could keep parity with graphics APIs and have optimized performance.

Comment

"Radeon Software Crimson edition"
                ​Release Notes for Linux:
                1. Support 4.X kernel versions.
                that is all folks!

the old tearing problema continue in the desktop and games.
                for example, in bioshock infinite the vsync doesn't work.

Comment

5 blatant articles in a row about AMD driver in a couple hours, you are full of shit this day Micheal 'o' Larabuel
                  Last edited by dungeon; 24 November 2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Is someone forcing you to read them?

Comment

Working...
                    X