Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Protocols v1.0 Released

Phoronix: Wayland Protocols v1.0 Released

Last week I wrote about the Wayland protocols being split from Wayland and Weston itself. Today marks the version 1.0 release of these protocols...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know why people seem so opposed to this, this is the part of wayland that REALLY matters, not weston, weston is just a showcase compositor, it's not like anybody is going to use it as a DE. It makes sense for wayland not to be tied down by what weston can do. As long as they properly test the features they make in the wayland protocol, I just don't see the problem. I think this is a great development.

Especially good for other desktop environments that are being ported to wayland (Gnome, KDE and Enlightenment for 3) now they have a less limited featureset they can rely on in wayland.

Comment

Why is there a trend of releasing "unstable" code, protocols, whatever under a major version? ESPECIALLY a 1.0 version? Why not be like Rust where 1.0 actually freaking meant something.

Comment

Well it's a git repository right? Git code should always be considered alpha code, so even if it says 1.0, features meant for 1.1 are already in there even if they're incomplete. But last I checked Wayland was version 1.9 and people are calling it incomplete, so I kinda agree with you... 1.0 used to mean something (Feature complete and stable is what it used to mean), I'm not sure it does anymore.

Actually because of this confusion I asked in a thread here earlier if Wayland is feature complete or what features it's mising to be complete, considering nobody has replied... I think nobody is even sure, do they even have a fucking roadmap over there?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Actually because of this confusion I asked in a thread here earlier if Wayland is feature complete or what features it's mising to be complete, considering nobody has replied... I think nobody is even sure, do they even have a fucking roadmap over there?
          There was the [ANNOUNCE] post at the time of wayland 1.0 release where the maintainer described why that can be considered the 1.0 and what were included.
          So about your guessing: nobody has replied simply because nobody cares enough to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Why is there a trend of releasing "unstable" code, protocols, whatever under a major version? ESPECIALLY a 1.0 version? Why not be like Rust where 1.0 actually freaking meant something.
            There would be no point in releasing a protocol on a VCS if it was meant to never change (because for a protocol, being stable mean to not change, if you have to correct something, except typo, it is not stable)

Comment

Despite having spent quite a bit of time reading up on this, I'm still confused by the whole Wayland concept. For example, I thought Wayland was the protocol, but now the Wayland protocol has been split off from Wayland? What is Wayland then? I also find that when I'm trying to explain what Wayland is to other linux users not familiar with graphics I don't do a good job of explaining what the role of the protocol is. This indicates that I don't really understand it myself. Does anyone have a reference that explains all this in detail, or is this another case of you have to read the code to get it?

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
                Despite having spent quite a bit of time reading up on this, I'm still confused by the whole Wayland concept. For example, I thought Wayland was the protocol, but now the Wayland protocol has been split off from Wayland? What is Wayland then? I also find that when I'm trying to explain what Wayland is to other linux users not familiar with graphics I don't do a good job of explaining what the role of the protocol is. This indicates that I don't really understand it myself. Does anyone have a reference that explains all this in detail, or is this another case of you have to read the code to get it?

Wayland is a protocol, but an extensible one. These are just extensions to the wayland protocol not yet stable and defined enough to make it to the core protocol (libwayland itself).

Comment

Has anyone ever been pissed at projects whose version number is 0.9.xxx or something for years and years and it works fine and is widely used, yet no-one releases a 1.0?

Here 1.0 means: "Please, start using this now, we are serious with this going forward and we have a direction, and we have laid out the basic rules to give you the guarantees on how to use this without arbitrarily breaking your work."

There is no such thing as feature-completeness. Or can you say that for X11-based desktops? As for what is missing from getting on par with existing X11 desktops, go ask the DE projects, do not point at Wayland upstream who DO NOT develop DEs!

Asking at Phoronix is also useless to begin with. People come here to waste time, not to discuss interesting matters. Me too.

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
                  What is Wayland then?
                  You could ask the very same of X11, see all these separate protocol repositories:

Or these files, which are essentially the same but in XML format:

On a high level, Wayland is not conceptually so different to X11 in the context you are asking.

Comment

Basically we'll have multiple wayland protocol implementations, some of them supporting one extension or another. Looks a lot like XMPP mess.
                    They will eventually reimplement X with its extension zoo, but now instead of one server, which you can expect to support certain features, clients will have to deal with different implementations. Already waiting for apps that work only in KDE.

Comment

Working...
                    X