Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD_performance_monitor Finally Hits In RadeonSI

Phoronix: AMD_performance_monitor Finally Hits In RadeonSI

The open-source Intel and Nouveau drivers have already been supporting AMD's OpenGL AMD_performance_monitor extension for exposing performance counters. AMD's own RadeonSI Gallium3D driver is finally joining that party today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So both Intel and Nvidia supported AMD_performance_monitor before AMD did...

Comment

So, is this what's used to read GPU usage and VRAM usage? If so, awesome - I've been waiting for this for a long time.

Comment

For GPU usage and VRAM usage, those could actually be read for a long time already (since 2013 perhaps? Not sure). If you start any OpenGL app with the environment variable GALLIUM_HUD=GPU-load, you get a HUD that graphs the load over time, and similar with VRAM and GTT usage. Use GALLIUM_HUD=help to get a listing of known metrics in your terminal.

This work now is about exposing counters that provide much more detailed information. To get an idea of what these counters can show, you can play around with AMD's GPUPerfStudio. It's a bit annoying to set up, because it's a client/server tool, where the GUI is only implemented for Windows (so you need to use a virtual machine or try your luck with Wine).

The goal of this work is two-fold: (1) it will help us guide further performance improvements in the driver, and (2) it's a first step towards allowing application developers to use the full set of profiling tools in GPUPerfStudio with our driver.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          That is just way too funny!

Comment

@n836598
            I'm looking more for a CLI way to get this data, kind of like how you can get CPU usage using "mpstat", or RAM usage using "free", or temperatures using "sensors".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Just to avoid any inappropriate hilarity, AMD supported the extension first (on Catalyst), then Intel, then the Nouveau devs (not NVidia), then AMD again but on the open source stack.
              Last edited by bridgman; 25 November 2015, 01:33 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                @n836598
                I'm looking more for a CLI way to get this data, kind of like how you can get CPU usage using "mpstat", or RAM usage using "free", or temperatures using "sensors".
                You can get vram and gtt information via ioctl or debugfs.

Comment

Ah cool, so AMD contract more proven developers... I remember Nicolai because of piglit

Comment

So, is this what's used to read GPU usage and VRAM usage? If so, awesome - I've been waiting for this for a long time.
                    You weren't aware of radeontop? That's exactly a CLI way to get GPU and VRAM usage.

Comment

Working...
                    X