Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Zero: A $5 ARM Board Experience

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Zero: A $5 ARM Board Experience

Eben Upton has announced today the latest Raspberry Pi board: the Pi Zero. This board will set you back a mere $5 USD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, "2GB of LPDDR2 SDRAM" - wow, that's a lot of RAM for a 5$ board. I thought the price is more appropriate for a "512MB RAM" board...

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
      Michael, "2GB of LPDDR2 SDRAM" - wow, that's a lot of RAM for a 5$ board. I thought the price is more appropriate for a "512MB RAM" board...
      Sorry to burst your bubble, it's only 512MB. The article was updated a few minutes ago after getting coffee in my body and noticing the typo.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble, it's only 512MB. The article was updated a few minutes ago after getting coffee in my body and noticing the typo.

Don't take any more Coffee :P

Comment

No on-board storage for installing an operating system? Like... they could ship it with a tiny on-board rom chip with just enough space for tinycore and keep it in the 10$ price range. But damn... 5$?

How the fuck are they making a 5$ computer? HOW?!

The future is so bright. Is it capable of running a GUI and basic video playback (like youtube and such?) if it can do that, it's like the cheapest consumer class computer in the world that can actually do all the things a consumer does.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            How the fuck are they making a 5$ computer? HOW?!
            Broadcom probably has a ton of stock. The BCM2836 is pretty old and they want to clear that stock, so it's probably like a dollar per chip. And apart from the SoC, there's not much on the board. They are mass producing too (millions!) so they can keep the costs down. Just a wild guess, though.

Comment

Best of all: Made in Wales!

Comment

i like, it but i miss the Ethernet port :/

Thats the reasson why i buy maybe a orange pi pc for 15$ or a orange pi 2 plus with wifi, ethernet, 8gb emmc and sata for 50$

Comment

Excellent news! I wonder what the "performance per dollar" ratio is, compared to other boards?

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  Best of all: Made in Wales!
                  If that's true, then china's economy is about to take a major blow

Comment

I ended up having to buy the $30 Pi Zero starter pack (includes some cables, etc)
                    So, $5 for board, $25 for cables, and good luck to buy it without cables... yeahh, interesting marketing move. I guess they can even declare $0 as board price. As long as it's not available for purchase without cables
                    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 26 November 2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X