No announcement yet.

Imagination Is Still Struggling To Find Open-Source Developer(s) For Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagination Is Still Struggling To Find Open-Source Developer(s) For Graphics

Phoronix: Imagination Is Still Struggling To Find Open-Source Developer(s) For Graphics

Since July we have been talking about Imagination Tech looking for an open-source developer to improve their open-source PowerVR graphics support. Even after relaying the request last month, they're still having a hard time finding qualified open-source graphics driver developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the different between an open-source developer and the ones that they have already? Do they need ones that work for free?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Imagination Is Still Struggling To Find Open-Source Developer(s) For Graphics

That's unfortunate to hear... Imagination has been working to actively improve their open-source graphics driver support, but they continue to be bound by not finding qualified candidates. It's this position considering the Phoronix audience of having many graphics driver developer readers.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ill-No-OSS-Dev
      Perhaps they'd have more success if they were interested in developing an open-source driver, rather than a closed-source blob that's called "open-source"? (At least at recruiting from within the Mesa community, as they appear to want to do.) My impression from the original announcement is that it'd be about as open as the qcom blob, i.e. open kernel driver, closed 3d accel blob.

Comment

I fulfil the requirements and live within driving distance. If they were recruiting for a senior position rather than a graduate I might be interested.

Comment

They should take notes of how AMD did it.
          1. Open up the docs/code to the community.
          2. Have current employees assist newcomers (especially students) with learning the hardware and code base.
          3. Hire those who make significant contribution.

It's not going to happen overnight though.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

It's not going to happen overnight though.
            Judging from the reddit link, that's exactly what they want. They don't want to train anyone because it "would delay the effort". As if a 2-3 months mattered at this point..

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
              My impression from the original announcement is that it'd be about as open as the qcom blob, i.e. open kernel driver, closed 3d accel blob.
              Judging from https://careers.imgtec.com/#/vacancy/details/2619 seems like completely open:
              You will focus on developing the Linux driver stack, including X, Mesa, Wayland, DRI and kernel-mode graphics drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                Judging from https://careers.imgtec.com/#/vacancy/details/2619 seems like completely open
                Both X and Mesa bits may be proprietary. Licensing allow that and there is known proprietary code on top of Mesa.

Comment

Well, Alex most probably reading us right now. Hopefully he will comment. (He commented news about ImgTek's IoT Kickstarter.)

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    They should take notes of how AMD did it.
                    1. Open up the docs/code to the community.
                    You're welcome btw. If it was not for me and Egbert, that would not have happened, ATI was not happy with it. AMD went with its old friends at SuSE and our rocksolid proposal.

Comment

Working...
                    X