Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Developer Still Working On PRIME Synchronization

Phoronix: NVIDIA Developer Still Working On PRIME Synchronization

NVIDIA continues to be working on PRIME synchronization support to fix tearing when using this multi-GPU method. There will be support for this functionality within the proprietary NVIDIA Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i even have tearing with a single gpu and there is no real way to fix it.
    Last edited by mezo; 27 November 2015, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mezo View Post
      i even have tearing with a single gpu and there is no real way to fix it.
      Well, that might very well be because of X11, one of the things wayland aims to fix.

Comment

Last time there wasn't a real answer: Once intel supports it, will the radeon open source driver make use of it too?
        And seeing how it needs to be set up with randr: Does it work with DRI3 too?

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
          Last time there wasn't a real answer: Once intel supports it, will the radeon open source driver make use of it too?
          And seeing how it needs to be set up with randr: Does it work with DRI3 too?

Yes it works with DRI3, it was designed for the new atomic modesetting and has updates to the i915 old code paths too (from what I understand from the patches on the mailing list)

I contacted the developer about about it working with AMD hardware and he said the drivers would need to change to support the double buffering - I'm not sure if AMD hardware would just work with the modesetting driver. I think the DRI kernel driver has to support fencing for this to work perfectly and I'm not sure if radeon or amdgpu has this. The doublebuffering should get rid of most of the tearing through.

The tearing on DRI3 with my old Sandybridge/Barts setup was shockingly bad

Comment

good news since bumblebee it is a problem to configure in some systems, nvidia-prime this days have a horrible tearing

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Yes it works with DRI3,
              I'm not sure if AMD hardware would just work with the modesetting driver.
              The modesetting xorg driver? In an intel + amd setup with dri3, I thought no xorg drivers was needede at all, just render nodes.

I think the DRI kernel driver has to support fencing for this to work perfectly and I'm not sure if radeon or amdgpu has this.
              I think so, at least people say that amd + amd offloading works without tearing...

The tearing on DRI3 with my old Sandybridge/Barts setup was shockingly bad
              It still is. Many games are completely unplayable.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post

The modesetting xorg driver? In an intel + amd setup with dri3, I thought no xorg drivers was needede at all, just render nodes.

I think so, at least people say that amd + amd offloading works without tearing...

It still is. Many games are completely unplayable.
                You still need a ddx driver for xrandr to be able to offload to the card, if you're not using the above patches switch back to dri2, that used to work OK on my system

Comment

I think you guys missed that these patches are for DRI2 only: nvidia doesn't implement DRI3 so far.
                  DRI2 gpu offloading is a hack, and these patches only add more to the hack.

Comment

Working...
                  X