Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 2.9.2 Released With GEGL Technical Preview

Phoronix: GIMP 2.9.2 Released With GEGL Technical Preview

Days after celebrating the project's 20th birthday, GIMP 2.9.2 has been released as the latest development snapshot towards the GIMP 2.10 image editor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow great! I hope that this Fedora COPR will be updated soon to 2.9.2. I am eager to test it...

Comment

Until non-destructive editing is in, I'll use CS6 with Playonlinux.

Comment

Finally, some public movement.

The port to GEGL seems to have been a herculean effort which was not very visible.

I hope the GIMP developers consider a time base release schedule in the future - at a minimum it shows momentum and potential new contributors could be encouraged to work on smaller features/clean ups.

(After this one, GIMP 3.0 should be quicker as a lot of the work has been done in another branch. it just needs to be cleaned up and then any UI changes added).

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
          I hope the GIMP developers consider a time base release schedule in the future - at a minimum it shows momentum and potential new contributors could be encouraged to work on smaller features/clean ups.
          When 80% to 90% of code is written by one person in spare time...

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post

When 80% to 90% of code is written by one person in spare time...
            That's a failure in leadership on the project and has been for over a decade. Meanwhile dozens of other FOSS projects have legions of developers pitching in and getting paid to do so.

Comment

I think its unfair to call it a failure in leadership - the one person can lead him/herself.

But visibility can help attract atleast short term volunteers maybe even just for minor bug fixing help and time based release schedule may help in that.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                I think its unfair to call it a failure in leadership - the one person can lead him/herself.

But visibility can help attract atleast short term volunteers maybe even just for minor bug fixing help and time based release schedule may help in that.

If you're a 'leader' and you look back and nobody's following your 'lead' you're just taking a walk.....

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

That's a failure in leadership on the project and has been for over a decade. Meanwhile dozens of other FOSS projects have legions of developers pitching in and getting paid to do so.
                  Feel free to help them out then...

Comment

Krita had luck with crowdfunding. Maybe that's an idea for non-destructive editing etc. Else we might have to wait and get older...

Comment

Working...
                    X