No announcement yet.

Contemplating A New, Public Linux Daily Kernel Build Server For Ubuntu/Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemplating A New, Public Linux Daily Kernel Build Server For Ubuntu/Fedora

Phoronix: Contemplating A New, Public Linux Daily Kernel Build Server For Ubuntu/Fedora

For the past many years the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA has generally been a reliable, quick, and easy manner of getting new mainline Linux kernel builds and to have the latest Git kernel fresh every morning. However, as of late, the Ubuntu Mainline Kernel PPA has been letting me down and I'm looking at setting up my own kernel build system for the community and also extend that to include some extra graphics patches, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

excellent idea!! worthy of a bitcoin donation.

Comment

It would be cool to have automatic drivers build for debian

Comment

You can use http://openbuildservice.org/ to set up builds for many distros. It allows other people to participate in updating and improving packages.

Comment

It would be nice to have latest stable kernel available for fedora

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
            It would be nice to have latest stable kernel available for fedora
            Wouldn't be part of the plan unless you're just planning to download the daily snapshot the day after release.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              If Linux user is interested about kernel speed, custom kernel is a solution. Remove all modules and drivers that you are not using. In processor settings, set timer to 300Hz. Get the kernel source from kernel.org. So public kernel tests are waste of time.
              Public tests are mainly looking for change in performance over time, some standard to compare to, etc etc.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Fedora already does this:

Comment

have you actually considered using AWS EC2 for cpu intensive tasks like this one? I'm curious because I would assume, that this could be cheaper and also be a matter of targeted donations. As far as I know GKH does this.

The other thing I'm interested in is it would be a lot more useful if there would be global metrics about used resources. To get an idea what is the highest user value to add to the kernel.

I.e.: statistics about

* what hardware does one use
                  * what distribution does one use
                  * ideally performance indicators that show the most used code on the platform.

Comment

I build my kernels anyway so that part I couldn't care any less. But about the Live PTS, that's a great idea. Biweekly or monthly releases would be difficult I think, unless you can fully automate the process. A once every three month build would be fantastic though.

Comment

Working...
                    X