Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KTorrent Ported To KDE Frameworks 5

Phoronix: KTorrent Ported To KDE Frameworks 5

It's been a year and a half since the original KDE Frameworks 5 release and more KDE applications continue to be ported over to this modern framework alongside Qt5. The latest to be ported over is KTorrent...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly I think KTorrent should be dumped in favor of qBittorrent, a better torrent client (in my opinion the best even, I use it on both windows and linux) and it isn't encumbered by the shitty kde frameworks.

Comment

KTorrent is the best torrent client in terms of features I've ever used. Scheduling, rate limiting, file priority, and it gives you graphs of everything. I've always thought its a shame the codebase is so old that its an entirely in house undermaintained implementation - they use libktorrent rather than libtorrent, but thankfully the protocol isn't as volatile as some others (cough, html) that you need a huge developer investment to keep parity. If it had Windows builds outside the unmaintained KDE for Windows versioning I would be recommending it to all the muggles over Deluge without a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        I've always thought its a shame the codebase is so old that its an entirely in house undermaintained implementation
        Same with Konversation. Best IRC client I've used in terms of usability (if not features) to the point where literally every other client annoys me in some way, but there's barely any work done on it anymore... it's pretty much in "maintenance" mode at this point (the last commit was April 9th of this year...)

What really sucks is that with KF5, it should be able to be ported to Windows easier than the KDE4 versions, yet it's taking forever! And I can't figure out for the life of me where these efforts are being played out. There's no git repos, no mailing lists that I can find. Only an IRC channel that nobody replies in. I use Windows more often than I'd like for reasons I wish didn't exist, so having my favorite IRC client with me would be great... but the currently ported version doesn't support Windows 10

Comment

I've been using the qt5 version of transmission, I might give ktorrent another go now it's ported, will need to check if there's an ebuild yet

Comment

Same with Konversation. Best IRC client I've used in terms of usability (if not features) to the point where literally every other client annoys me in some way, but there's barely any work done on it anymore... it's pretty much in "maintenance" mode at this point (the last commit was April 9th of this year...)
            In theory this shouldn't be a problem, but in practice anything that isn't in heavy development loses all development. Those who would manage multiple people making regular commits and pull requests slow down and start doing it on weekends and eventually stop when contributions dry up. When a problem then does arise, that person is no longer available with the time to startup an imitative to make what was once a vibrant codebase live again - especially because its often the case that those that wrote and know the code are no longer around, so it might be a dozen new devs to the project that come in, witness a hundred thousand lines of QObject and XML, and claw their eyes out. It is super hard to take an existing codebase where there is nobody left working on it regularly and revive it.

That is why while projects like Konversation, KTorrent, Konqueror, etc made best in class at the time programs for their tasks, by centralizing one huge codebase to provide everything rather than using, ex, Telepathy / libtorrent / webkit respectively, the projects explode on the scene with huge features, lose participation rapidly since they are top in class, and then years later find themselves with a lack of maintenance because that huge code base was great for years and didn't need vigilance to keep it fit, and now its grown decrepid but the community has slowed down too much to keep the old hype going. They often devolve into passion projects of one or two people that cannot maintain something as huge as an entire IRC implementation. We are seeing in recent years how important projects like gstreamer, ffmpeg, telepathy, and webkit/blink are because they centralize protocols and complexity away from what becomes a GUI shim around a library or API. We can handle updating our interfaces as long as they are sufficiently disconnected from our implementation, but when our implementation is buried under our interface and it rots, we have a crisis of maintenance.

While Konv / Ktorrent are surviving this, it doesn't look like Rekonq or Konqueror will, and I hope anyone planning out next generation applications make it first priority to make sure all their functionality is coming from whatever the frontrunner global implementation of your tech is rather than doing it in house, even if it means having to go through the politics of other projects to get features upstreamed because while doing it yourself saves time now and can get you a product with flair today, it means years down the road you are going to hate yourself or your project is going to be dead because its trying to kitchen sink a problem one person cannot sanely solve indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              Honestly I think KTorrent should be dumped in favor of qBittorrent, a better torrent client (in my opinion the best even, I use it on both windows and linux) and it isn't encumbered by the shitty kde frameworks.
              I've never used KTorrent, I don't use KDE, but qBittorrent is the best replacement I found for uTorrent on Windows
              I'm planning to use it on linux too

Comment

Deluge for me!

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  ....qBittorrent, a better torrent client (in my opinion the best even....
                  You misspelled rTorrent

I only say that because I spent frikkin ages doing my rtorrent.conf file so I give myself a pass to be a cli elitist on this point.

Comment

Ktorrent is almost feature complete for torrents for me. Magnet, Adding utorrent compatible tracker list, utp, file seeds and what not. It should be perfect in maintaining mode for next 4-5 years. Then maybe some new teac

Comment

Working...
                    X