Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabayon 15.12 Updates Plasma 5, GNOME 3.18 Goes Into Testing

Phoronix: Sabayon 15.12 Updates Plasma 5, GNOME 3.18 Goes Into Testing

The latest monthly ISO for the Gentoo-based Sabayon Linux distribution is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How is Sabayon?

I'm looking for a nice rolling distro to use on my workstation and server computers. Would prefer to not deal with a set-up process like Arch (it's nice, but I really don't want to go through that across multiple machines). Sabayon appears to have workstation and server images available.

Comment

Try opensuse tumbleweed, the most stable rolling distro out there. And it comes with an easy yet powerfull installer.

Comment

I wonder if they come with systemD on that. Since gnome and KDE said their Desktops are relying on systemd. But iirc gentoo didnt want to go the systemD way.

Comment

I used Sabayon for years, it's easy to use and quite well done. The issue I had is they started falling a bit behind the "cutting edge" as they say. They used to be good about keeping up on their packages and they were becoming a little lax in that department the last time I gave it a run. I'd say if you're looking for "easy" Gentoo, give it a go though.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            How is Sabayon?

I'm looking for a nice rolling distro to use on my workstation and server computers. Would prefer to not deal with a set-up process like Arch (it's nice, but I really don't want to go through that across multiple machines). Sabayon appears to have workstation and server images available.

Why not use Antergos then? That's the go-to distribution for installing Arch Linux with a GUI installation experience superior to Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar0129 View Post
              I used Sabayon for years, it's easy to use and quite well done. The issue I had is they started falling a bit behind the "cutting edge" as they say. They used to be good about keeping up on their packages and they were becoming a little lax in that department the last time I gave it a run. I'd say if you're looking for "easy" Gentoo, give it a go though.
              Basically as long as you use their packages and don't change make.conf Sabayon is decent. If you're looking for a gentoo based system you can do what you want with I think Calculate linux is a better starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                Why not use Antergos then? That's the go-to distribution for installing Arch Linux with a GUI installation experience superior to Ubuntu.
                Only recently did I learn Antergos is Arch, I would highly recommend it as a test subject, infact if I didn't iron out a personal Arch Install script/guide I would just use Antergos.

My opinion? Iron out a install guide, I've used my Arch Install Guide probably a good 30 times since I created it.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Only recently did I learn Antergos is Arch, I would highly recommend it as a test subject, infact if I didn't iron out a personal Arch Install script/guide I would just use Antergos.

My opinion? Iron out a install guide, I've used my Arch Install Guide probably a good 30 times since I created it.
                  Please share your installation guide with the community under a free license such as creative commons allowing derivates at the least.

Comment

IMHO it's easier to use Gentoo than Sabayon... Ever tried to wrestle with 2 Package Managers at once - let's just say the results aren't pretty!! If you use it as a binary only distro (Entropy) it was a bit lacking in package support I found but otherwise OK...

Comment

Working...
                    X