Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Through Fedora 23 Performance On An Apple MacBook Air

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Through Fedora 23 Performance On An Apple MacBook Air

The latest Linux benchmarks I ran this weekend in welcoming the new Phoronix Premium subscribers participating in our Black Friday deal are some MacBook Air benchmarks on Fedora 21, Fedora 22, and Fedora 23...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be interesting to see results from the default OS as well, alongside these of course. I bet all these benchmarks are available for OSX too.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      It would be interesting to see results from the default OS as well, alongside these of course. I bet all these benchmarks are available for OSX too.
      I have some OS X El Capitan vs. Linux benchmarks coming out in next day or two... Haven't done any El Capitan tests in previous articles, but plenty of other OS X vs. Linux tests on older versions.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I have some OS X El Capitan vs. Linux benchmarks coming out in next day or two
        Very interesting stuff, especially since they promised better performance.

Comment

I have no idea why you bother doing OpenGL tests for OS X. The entire OS and games designed from the big engines have moved to Metal API.

Comment

Wondering how "difficult" it could be to install a non-OS X system on such beast? Do you need any hack of the EFI bootloader?
            I also wonder how such laptop runs well in terms of Battery life as opposed to the native OS which does a really good job (probably the best in the whole industry on this very task) as well as in terms of OpenCL (in FP64) as these Intel CPU/GPU can handle OCL pretty well as far as I know?

Comment

Strange. In my case the performance of Fedora 23 saw great regression compared to Fedora 20. I just upgraded over the weekend to Fedora 23 jumping straight from F20 and Gnome's animations nose-dived to probably a third of the FPS I saw on F20. F23 is not only slower graphically. Running automated tests on a NodeJS project I'm working on also nose dived from 1 minute to 4 minutes! And this is on an Intel chipset, no special configuration there. The only explanation I have to this is that the kernel team screwed up Sandy Bridge drivers or something. I will try other distros and see.

Comment

Working...
              X