Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deepin 15 Alpha 2 Released With Many System Changes

Phoronix: Deepin 15 Alpha 2 Released With Many System Changes

The developers behind the Deepin Linux distribution announced their 15 Alpha 2 release this weekend, which they've tagged "a different Deepin for you."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have they rebased to Debian in this release or is it still Ubuntu?

Comment

I do like what I'm seeing with deepin, but I do have a question: does the new deepin take advantage of GTK 3.18 stack? I saw the file manager in the screenshot and it looked very similar to that of GNOME 3.18's Nautilus. I like it.

With Cinnamon's support for client-side decorations, I replaced Nemo with Nautilus, switched to Adwaita, and replaced window list (taskbar) with a global menu to the top panel. I'm running Cinnamon in Arch Linux. What I do like in deepin is the launchpad icon that opens up a Mac-like grid of application icons and blurs the background. Very cool. I also like an Android-style control panel that slides in from the right. But that's about it.

I could care less about deepin applications, though, except for WPS Office suite.

I wonder what's it like to build a shell from scratch if I decide to take advantage of a Mutter window manager? I could care less for Compiz.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        I do like what I'm seeing with deepin, but I do have a question: does the new deepin take advantage of GTK 3.18 stack? I saw the file manager in the screenshot and it looked very similar to that of GNOME 3.18's Nautilus. I like it.

With Cinnamon's support for client-side decorations, I replaced Nemo with Nautilus, switched to Adwaita, and replaced window list (taskbar) with a global menu to the top panel. I'm running Cinnamon in Arch Linux. What I do like in deepin is the launchpad icon that opens up a Mac-like grid of application icons and blurs the background. Very cool. I also like an Android-style control panel that slides in from the right. But that's about it.

I could care less about deepin applications, though, except for WPS Office suite.

I wonder what's it like to build a shell from scratch if I decide to take advantage of a Mutter window manager? I could care less for Compiz.
        AFAIK Deepin DE does not have a set of its own utilites, only terminal emulator. And Deepin DE itself is a mix of gtk2+Qt5 and uses compiz+metacity for window managing. As for distribution itself they probably borrow whatever fits into overall theme.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          AFAIK Deepin DE does not have a set of its own utilites, only terminal emulator. And Deepin DE itself is a mix of gtk2+Qt5 and uses compiz+metacity for window managing. As for distribution itself they probably borrow whatever fits into overall theme.
          Deepin DE has coded their own applications, to name a few: Deepin Store, Deepin Movie, Deepin Music, Deepin File Manager, Deepin Screenshot, Deepin Terminal. They don't really look like GTK apps though, but they work really well. Compiz is scheduled to be dropped from the 2015 or 2016 release.
          As for toolkits: the DE and their own utilities are coded in QML+HTML5.

@GraysonPeddie: This new 2015 beta release uses the GNOME 3.18 stack. I can confirm that from testing.

@killyou: It's still Ubuntu.

Comment

Installed it. All the packages are pretty up to date but my Radeon fan control dosent work even with kernel 4+ Mabye that's a problem with waylane IDK. But the proprietary drivers would require a kernel rollback to 3.9.

Not ready yet. I'll keep it and update to see if it changes but it's not ready. 368

Comment

Working...
            X