Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD R600g Is Making Progress With Tessellation, Running Heaven

Phoronix: AMD R600g Is Making Progress With Tessellation, Running Heaven

Thanks to work by Red Hat's David Airlie, the R600 Gallium3D driver is very close to having OpenGL tessellation support, which will then allow this pre-GCN AMD open-source driver to expose OpenGL 4.1 compliance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried Infinite and Metro yesteray with Mesa 11.0.6 and 6850. Overriding GL version to 4.1 works, somewhat. Metro played perfectly, though I did not try higher settings (it doesn't have much settings at all), but on default low it played without glitches and without image quality issues. Infinite is a bit different, it only works on very low settings, otherwise it crashes X altogether. (It used to run medium-high with Catalyst). Frame rate in this case is terrible, sometimes dropping to sigle digits, sometimes being above 100. (Metro frame rate is fine.)

I wonder if Infinite is trying to tessellate on higher settings, or is it the lack of fp64 "emulation" or simply the code is not mature enough yet.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      I tried Infinite and Metro yesteray with Mesa 11.0.6 and 6850. Overriding GL version to 4.1 works, somewhat. Metro played perfectly, though I did not try higher settings (it doesn't have much settings at all), but on default low it played without glitches and without image quality issues. Infinite is a bit different, it only works on very low settings, otherwise it crashes X altogether. (It used to run medium-high with Catalyst). Frame rate in this case is terrible, sometimes dropping to sigle digits, sometimes being above 100. (Metro frame rate is fine.)

I wonder if Infinite is trying to tessellate on higher settings, or is it the lack of fp64 "emulation" or simply the code is not mature enough yet.
      Yes, Metro 2033 and Last Light Redux play nice with the free driver. But they don't let me change options inside the game, only that stupid quality bar. The other graphical options freeze the game and then go back to the previous state.

Bioshock: Infinity do not crash on me (R9 290) but it suffers from the same problem as yours: if you look to a wall at close range the fps go very high, but if you look at the scenery the fps go below 10 fps, with low or maximum settings. This is the NvidiaGL for you!

Comment

Is it possible to emulate fp64 with software on GPUs like Barts (Pro)?

Comment

AFAIK yes, but the work has to be done in the shader compiler rather than in the driver. Not sure whether emulating with integer or fp32 would make more sense, depends I guess on required accuracy (and whether any programs we care about actually use the feature).
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by SvenK View Post
            It is possible, Catalyst does something like it. Developers just don't think it's a high priority issue. (It truly isn't from their point of view.)

Comment

Originally posted by SvenK View Post
              Really hope this can be done. My 6670 (Turks) is plenty powerful to play games such as Dirt Showdown, but without GL 4.1, its not possible w/o catalyst. I'd like to get off of catalyst (especially now, since AMD has depreciated all Radeon 5000/6000 cards) and only the OpenGL 4+ issue is holding me back.

Comment

the only question here is, wtf intel?!

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
                  Really hope this can be done. My 6670 (Turks) is plenty powerful to play games such as Dirt Showdown, but without GL 4.1, its not possible w/o catalyst. I'd like to get off of catalyst (especially now, since AMD has depreciated all Radeon 5000/6000 cards) and only the OpenGL 4+ issue is holding me back.
                  If the only missing feature is fp64 (assuming the game doesn't actually use it) can't you just force a GL level over-ride either manually or via drirc ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    the only question here is, wtf intel?!
                    Do you refer to intel not supporting GL_ARB_tessellation_shader in their driver or something else?

Comment

Working...
                    X