Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS X 10.11 El Capitan vs. Fedora 23 Linux Performance

Phoronix: OS X 10.11 El Capitan vs. Fedora 23 Linux Performance

The latest extra benchmarks done this weekend as thanks to those Phoronix readers taking advantage of our holiday premium deal are some fresh OS X vs. Linux benchmarks. As it's been a while since last running any cross-OS comparison benchmarks between Apple and Linux distributions, I've started running a fresh comparison using OS X 10.11.1 "El Capitan" and the initial Linux distribution for reference is Fedora 23.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The postgres results look like fsync wasn't actually syncing on OSX. Sure enough:

2014-04-15 0:32 GMT+02:00 Mel Llaguno : > I was given anecdotal information regarding HFS+ performance under OSX as > being …

Comment

I am wondering if Mac could be modified under-the-hood to improve performance.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        I am wondering if Mac could be modified under-the-hood to improve performance.
        Considering some versions of the Mac kernel has been modified to run on AMD CPUs, I'm sure you can tweak it for better performance too. But, that kind of defeats the purpose of getting a Mac. You don't use Mac for the performance, you use it for stability and simplicity for the user.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          You don't use Mac for the performance, you use it for stability and simplicity for the user.
          nah you use it because you are a gay retard that doesn't mind overpaying for decent hardware+shitty os

Comment

Pallidus don't you have to be over 13 to post on this site?

Comment

When you consider the PostgreSQL results are invalid due to a missing fsync, this is pretty much a clean-sweep for Linux. This is the reason OSX was pulled from the market circa 2005 - it couldn't compete. Too much kernel overhead apparently. I remember a comparison of Linux > Solaris > Windows > OSX from around that time for the LAMP stack. The results were in the order presented. That is, Linux out-performed and OSX under-performed all others.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Considering some versions of the Mac kernel has been modified to run on AMD CPUs, I'm sure you can tweak it for better performance too. But, that kind of defeats the purpose of getting a Mac. You don't use Mac for the performance, you use it for stability and simplicity for the user.

stablity? since when mac osx is stable?

Comment

Originally posted by jamdox View Post
                  Pallidus don't you have to be over 13 to post on this site?
                  Look at his birth-date in his profile before you post.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                    Look at his birth-date in his profile before you post.
                    I think what he writes is a better indicator of his age

Comment

Working...
                    X