Fedora's blivet-gui Continues Making Progress On Linux Storage Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's blivet-gui Continues Making Progress On Linux Storage Management

Phoronix: Fedora's blivet-gui Continues Making Progress On Linux Storage Management

It's been several months since talking about blivet-gui as a Fedora-focused UI for Linux storage management while with Fedora 23 is now blivet-gui v1.0 and other post-1.0 progress is also being made...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So he is reinventing gnome-disk-utility ?

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
      Probably trying to make something more modern and advanced in the long run. gnome-disk for me was really just a way to view information on my HDD. I couldn't really find anything it did useful beyond that, I ended up using gparted for anything involving disk/flash drive management.

On-topic: that logical view looks horrendous. Why the rounded corners? WHY? It's looks so bad. Everything else seems ok.

Comment

Hey Michael... just out of curiosity, why do you grab the PNG-formatted screenshots off the blog post, then convert them to low-quality lossy JPEG for your article? They look awful in JPEG... blurry text, and compression artifacts everywhere... it's a crap format for screenshots.

Comment

Indeed, JPEG is a crappy format for anything that isn't photographic images. Scrap that, it's a crappy format for photographic images as long as you're not too space constrained to0, and given storage costs and sizes these days, it's not justifiable unless you camera can only shoot in this format.

For anything that requires crisp lines, such as text, it's a horrible format, because it will blur them, it will introduce artifacts, and it might even end up being bigger in file size!

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            On-topic: that logical view looks horrendous. Why the rounded corners? WHY? It's looks so bad.
            +1...

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post

Hi, GNOME Disks doesn't support LVM, software RAID or Btrfs (sub)volumes and its developers don't want to support it. On the other hand, GNOME Disks has many features that I don't want in blivet-gui like fstab editor, SMART data, disk benchmarks etc. From my point of view GNOME Disks is an application for "normal" users, useful for things like formatting your USB flash drive or checking disk health and blivet-gui is a tool for more "advanced" storage configuration.

(I really should create some FAQ, everyone asks about GNOME Disks.)

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                On-topic: that logical view looks horrendous. Why the rounded corners? WHY? It's looks so bad. Everything else seems ok.
                Is it really that bad? I kinda like it :-)

Comment

Originally posted by vtrefny View Post

Is it really that bad? I kinda like it :-)
                  I think the problem is that things with rounded corners need more separation between them - it doesn't look good when you have two rounded boxes squashed up against each other. So if you look at your Physical view screenshot, the vdb/vdd boxes to the left look fine with rounded corners, because they have space around them. But on the Logical tab, the boxes for vdb1/vdb2/c are squashed together and surrounded by other elements - there's no space between them or around them. Daktyl198's right... that looks pretty bad...

Comment

Working...
                  X