Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Toshiba Carrizo-Powered Laptop Is Screaming, Literally

Phoronix: The Toshiba Carrizo-Powered Laptop Is Screaming, Literally

Since writing a few days ago about buying an AMD Carrizo-powered laptop for Linux benchmarking, many Phoronix readers have been asking how it's going in testing out this Toshiba Satellite L55D-C5269 laptop. Well, very unpleasant so far...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I work with hardware maintenance and already heard a lot of this noises. It's a broken fan. RMA it.

Comment

It is surely broken, get it replaced.

Comment

That noise sounds like a wire or cable being hit by the fan. If an internal cable is loose, then shifting and tilting could very well move the wire, explaining why it doesn't always make the sound.

The question is whether you want to open the machine up to verify and repair, or just RMA it.

Comment

I have a Intel+AMD Toshiba laptop and it has never made a sound like that. Like other comments have said, it's probably a broken fan/loose piece hitting it.

Comment

Problematic fan for sure.

Comment

It's brand new so I wouldn't take it apart. Just RMA it.

Comment

Like most Windows laptops these days, it's a piece of junk. I recently got a Dell laptop that also had fan issues right out of the box. Quality control is a thing of the past apparently.

Comment

Hint: buy the Lenovo next time :P
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    Hint: buy the Lenovo next time :P
                    Didn't see one for under $450... Re-selling these to a friend when I'm done running my Linux benchmarks, and those were his price requirements for two laptops.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X